Hanging/fitting Roman Blinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging/fitting Roman Blinds

I'm a newbie to the site, and a bit nervous. I'm not a professional, but I have been making curtains and blinds for years and this question sounds stupid even as I'm writing it, .

I have made lined Roman Blinds for my kitchen, and would like some advice on fitting them. They are to fit inside the window but I don't really want to attach above the window as this is only plasterboard, and the windows are UPVC so I can't screw into them. I've made and fitted Romans before but never had a problem as I have just used the hook and eye method onto a batten in my daughter's student flat. I would really like these to look smarter and more tailored, but without damaging my house! Could anyone recommend a book I could buy, as I'm looking to refurbish several rooms? Thanks a lot for listening!
    I'd rather be sewing!

Re: Hanging/fitting Roman Blinds

How did you fix the battens to the wall/window in the past?

Comment

You can get fittings for both plasterboard and uPVC. Try B&Q (or any of the chains) for plasterboard screws.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hello Rantalot..

Welcome to the forum, and please don't be nervous! You have two options for fitting your blinds, fabric covered batten or aluminium tracking - both require screws to fix them to eithe the wall, window frame, window recess or the ceiling. As already mentioned you can buy plaster board raw plugs to take the screws. M&D sell all the necessary components and you can their site is well worth a look around for most of your workroom needs.

[attachment=0:qaul7tc7]murtratrackuniversalbracket.jpg[/attachment:qaul7tc7]

Colly Brook Fine Furnishings also offer a huge range of workroom and soft furnishing supplies and are another site for you to have a good look around at.

With regards the book - M&D have produced a book which covers everything and gives easy to follow instructions, it is probably the only book you will need to buy as it is far more superior to most books on the market. The book is called The Encylopeadia of Curtains

If you don't want to buy a book, there are many friendly people here who will take you through the making of your blinds via the forum.

I hope you enjoy the forum

Philip
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

You may also like another Merrick & Day book, Blinds, Curtains and Cushions, which has quite a bit of information on fitting blinds.

Angie

Comment

I'd always understood you weren't supposed to put screws into uPVC frames - is this incorrect? Seem to remember it was something to do with causing leaks and/or making manufacturers guarantee null & void
            Jane

Comment

If you chose the batten method you could use small angle brackets at either end, but turned through 90 degrees so they screwed in to the wall at the side of the window recess, and top fix in to the batten.

You would want the blind to be almost as wide as the recess so that they were virtually concealed but I think it would work. You could even add a shallow, flat self-valance to the top of the blind to help this.

PS - you could try your library for both books (you might have to request them) but then you could have a look at them to see which you liked best.......
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hello Rantalot

Welcome to the forum. That is a good question you have asked as my friend wants roman blinds and has the same problem, so she was going to opt for roller blinds, as they would fix in either side onto the wooden recess, therefore I would loose a job.. So good idea Louise.

You learn all the time on this Forum!!

Kathy
                K W Designs
                Bournemouth

Comment

When I need small brackets for romans I sometimes use things called corner braces or I think you could also consider angle brackets which are smaller. Both available from DIY shops, as they are smaller they are only useful for smaller/lighter blinds when you only want to use one at each end. Think they come in zinc finish but no reason why you shouldn't paint them.

Look like this

[attachment=1:2uwnm57l]corner brace.jpg[/attachment:2uwnm57l]

[attachment=0:2uwnm57l]angle bracket.jpg[/attachment:2uwnm57l]
                  Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thank you all so much for all the helpful advice - I don't feel quite so stupid now!

Hopefully my blinds will be up and functioning by the end of the weekend - let's face it I can't do much else with all the bad weather.

I think I will be making much use of this little gem of a site!
                    I'd rather be sewing!

Comment

Welcome, rantalot.

Although I did not answer your post, romans are my least favourite thing to do, I will make use of Louise's tip for romans in my house. I don't like the way romans jutt out and prefer the old fashioned batten method, but I rather like being part of a
                      'gem of a site'!!
                      Schubby et al ? the crown jewels?????? this could start another of the fun topics that we have every now and then.

Enid

Comment

Working...
                      X