Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roman Blinds made from Voile

Hi all

My friend would like some Roman Blinds made from Voile, can this be done? I am sure it can, but has anyone made these before?

thanks Kathy
    K W Designs
    Bournemouth

Re: Roman Blinds made from Voile

A friend made some last year for her kitchen. They are dummy ones but I cannot see why working ones could not be made. Unlined of course, make the pockets as you would from the voile. The only drawbacks that I can think would be those that come from working with voile ....puckering fabric and perhaps you might not get clean crips seams on the side. Fibreglass rods, watch the ends that they don't snag the fabric.

Others will perhaps have more knowledge, Kathy.

Enid

Comment

Hi Kathy,

I haven't actually made these but thought I was going to last year so looked into it - I was going to use transparent rod tape and sew it on to the voile (it just needs one row of stitching) the reason being that I wasn't confident that the voile would have the strength/stability to hold the rings. And I also got transparent rods (M&D) which were a bit less visible. In the end the customer went for a linen-y unlined blind instead but I still used the transparent tape and rods to minimise their visibility.

Cheers
      Sue

Comment

I have seen a method where you make tucks in the voile fabric itself for the rod pockets, then use the transparent rods.......then a narrow machined hem at the sides.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I've made one in the way Louise describes, and as far as I know it's still going strong. I wouldn't attempt it without a firmly woven voile, if that's not a contradiction in terms.

Angie

Comment

Hi,

I made some of these a few months ago. I got special clear rods from Evans to put in the pockets. I basically made the blind as if it were the lining of a normal fabric blind. Sewing the rod pockets as folds in the blind. From the front, whilst you don't have a visible stitching line you have the back of the fold. These are still fine, but my main worry about them was whether the rings on the bottom row would pull where there were stitched on. Apparently they are OK, as I saw my client at Christmas.

I used a fairly open weave but quite 'crunchy' muslin. Not a soft fabric, but quite stiff. Not sure I would recommend normal voile, it might pucker on the stitching lines and be a bit floppy.

Good Luck
            Sue.

P.S. You can get white bottom bars from Evans too, but they are quite heavy, you might get away just with a normal rod in the bottom.

Comment

I've made these, both as an unlined roman blind, with pockets made out of the fabric, and with transparent tape. Both with transparent rods. All the gubbins will show, make sure your customer knows that. But I think they work well as an alternative to 'nets'!
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, I have suggested she chooses some fabric and I make a trial one up to see what she thinks. I dont like working with voile I am going to suggest she chooses something similar. They are a good alternative to nets, thankfully her windows aren't that big lol.

Kathy
                K W Designs
                Bournemouth

Comment

Don't forget, Kathy, although I expect you know, that you can mark stitching and folding lines by pulling a thread where needed. It is the easiest way to mark voiles and doesn't show.
                  Kind regards
                  Pen Harrison
                  Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Good point Thank you Thecurtainmaker
                    K W Designs
                    Bournemouth

Comment

I made the pockets with the voile itself, transparent rods and rings but I also hand stitched the sides and hems to avoid any puckering.
                      Where the bottom rings are sewn on, strengthen & stiffen with fray check before sewing them on.
                      Julie
                      Julie

Comment

Is there anything that can be sprayed all over voille to stiffen the fabric in order to make blinds?

Comment

Starch? Can you still get starch spray?

Comment

Machine patchworkers use spray starch......I would think it is generally available as well as from quilting shops.
                            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                              I have seen a method where you make tucks in the voile fabric itself for the rod pockets, then use the transparent rods.......then a narrow machined hem at the sides.
                              I made three blinds for a friend using Louise's method about 2 years ago.
                              They are hung in a bay window and are pretty much put up and down every day and I think they are still ok, but apparently one of the cords is fraying.

When they said they wanted voile blinds I said "no way" but the fabric was very user friendly.

Not traditional voile, but a firm open weave cross between a linen and a seersucker.
                              I've emailed my friends to ask if they have a note of the name beyond "double width fabric from Casamance" as it was surprisingly nice to sew.

The fact that the three blinds were designed to exactly follow the 7 sides of a semi circular bay was another matter....

Comment

Working...
                              X