Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to join?

Hi all,
    I just need a bit of advice...I need to make a blind 210cm wide which will fit across three static windows which are each 70cm wide. Is it correct to join the fabric at each window break i.e. at 70cm or will it not matter if I join 35cm to each side of 140cm. I hope this makes sense! Any ideas?
    Quite a picky client so needs to look fab!
    Penny

Re: Where to join?

When making roman blinds that require more than one width a of fabric, a full width should be placed in the middle, with a join either side. This gives the blind a balanced look and avoids un-sightly seems down the centre. Consider the width before deciding, a contrasting strip at each side can often add to the overall look and save you having to buy extra fabric.

Left and right joins should be equal and a reasonable width, joining the fabric at each window break isn't necesesary. Always remember, if you have to join widths of lining when making wide roman blinds - do not iron your seams open, but iron them to one side otherwise you won't get your rods in. Iron all seams in the same direction to allow smooth passage of the rods. Better still, rail road your linings whenever possible to avoid joins!

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Many thanks for that. I had more or less decided to do it that way just needed reassurance!
      Penny

Comment

Hi I need help!
        I'm making a roman blind 148cm wide. I need 158cm of fabric for side turnings. My fabric is 141cm wide so annoyingly only need 17cm of extra fabric. I have 2 lengths of fabric for this blind.
        I've read that a join on either side of centre panel is the thing to do but in order to match the pattern at each side of centre panel (vertical stripes of various colours) I dont have enough material in the extra length of fabric. I don't want to buy any more fabric as it's 22 quid a metre so will it look ok to join the 17cm on to one side of fabric? Also I've read that joins in lining can be a prob for rod pockets?
        Also is there anyone in Liverpool area who makes roman blinds who could give me some advice pls?

Thankyou

Comment

Unless you have a dropping pattern, match up the selvedges of the extra length to those of the centre panel. You will use both sides of the second length.

Join your linings horizontally, placing the join within a rod pocket.

Julie
          Julie

Comment

You could cut the second length horizontally and have horizontal striped bands on each side. That would get round the fact you don't have enough fabric.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi I'm very new to sewing so I don't know what a dropping pattern is. I've trIed what Julie said and I see now how they join leaving a centre panel of fabric in second length-thanks. I had read somewhere that the side pieces shouldn't be too narrow so if like in my blind this was the case then I should shorten width of centre panel and widen side pieces. This got me in a pickle!
              What if my joins in lining don't fit where I need a rod pocket?
              Thanks for this it's v hard!

Comment

If you cannot get the hang of joining the lining at the rod pockets horizontally, join the lining vertically and press the seams all to the same side....see Schuhby's previous post above in this topic.

Enid

Comment

Working...
                X