Bigger top fold to cover wall above window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger top fold to cover wall above window

I really hope that someone can help me with my current conundrum! I have to make a roman blind for a client which needs to be fixed quite high above the window in order to cover something on the wall which my client doesn’t want to move. However, the window is quite shallow and has a radiator below it.

My problem is that if I put 5 folds in the blind (2 rods) there will be 5cm of wall showing between the bottom of the blind and the top of the window but if I reduce it to 3 folds, the blind will cover too much of a rather small window and I don’t think it will look very good.

What I would like to do is build in an extra 5 or 6 cm to the top fold in addition to the headrail allowance and somehow stop the blind from pulling all the way up to the headrail. I’m not sure if this makes sense?? I was wondering whether I could put a length of narrow tubing (?drinking straw?) or beads between the top rod pocket and the headrail.

Has anyone managed to over come this sort of problem before, or have any suggestions?

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks.

Would a cascade blind be an option?

Comment

• JoannaC
      JoannaC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I did think about that but don’t think it would work so well for the other blind in the room. it’s definitely my fall back option though.

Could you put a small pelmet above the blind so that the actual blind could be positioned a bit lower? You could do the same thing for the other blind in the room so that they match.

Comment

• JoannaC
      JoannaC commented
      Editing a comment
      The problem is that it's a really old house with some very solid wooden curtain pole brackets above the window which my client doesn’t want to totally remove as they appear to be built into the wall. The parts that support the pole have gone but the fixings are still there. They are about 15mm deep so the blinds are able to pull up past them without snagging but it means I can’t lower the headrail because they are in the way. I ordered some Perspex tubing yesterday so I’m going to experiment threading the cords through that above the top fold of another blind to see whether it will work.

Do let us know how it works out JoannaC
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

How high above the windows are the fixings and how high are you intending to fix the blind?

Comment

Could you fix the head rail/ batten below the fixings and have an ‘up stand’ above the top of the head rail/batten to cover the old fixings - you said they have a projection of 15mm

Comment

Working...
        X