Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to blinds and a wide window - questions regarding interlining

Hi

My window on the staircase return measures 1.6m wide and 2.5m drop. I live in an old house so want to make the blind as draught-proof as possible as I have single glazing (and lots of condensation!)

I've bought some wide Susie Watson fabric (100% cotton Gustavian stripe) so I didn't have to put in a seam and I can tentatively make a roman blind by following the fantastic video on this site. I'm not a natural but can follow instruction!

I can only seem to find interlining that measures 137cm so I'm guessing I have to join it before I put it between the fabric and the lining - but how? I'm guessing vertically? But with what stitch?

And what interlining would you all suggest? I want to go for the heaviest possible but I'm worried my old second hand machine might not cope. I don't really understand the differences between the different interlinings to cope with damp condensation and keep out draughts. It doesn't need to have black-out qualities.

I'd really appreciate any help - I need to get it sort of straight in my head before I go buying the wrong stuff and making a hash of it!

Many thanks

I wouldn't use too thick an interlining in a blind as the bulk will be awkward for this large a blind. You could also consider just using a blackout lining as this has thermal qualities; use as an interlining between face fabric and lining. If you decide on interlining use a sarill 180g.

I would railroad the interlining and join as a pocket horizontally - you can lay one on top of the other and hand sew or machine zigzag.

With regards the lining - railroad the fabrics again and hide the join inside a pocket.

If your window has a lot of condensation, I would suggest you ensure the blind does not touch the window otherwise you will end up with mold.

I hope this helps..

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

It might also be worth considering teflon coated lining to help prevent mould from the dampness. It looks and feels the same as cotton sateen but it has water repellant qualities.

Good luck with your project.

Best wishes
      Liz

Comment

The same as Philip. I always railroad (run the fabric sideways rather than vertical) interlining and linings.
        John Quine
        Brooke Design
        Fylde Coast

Comment

Working...
        X