Pocket tape VS pockets sewn into the lining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket tape VS pockets sewn into the lining

WHat's your opinion on rod pocket tape with stitches sewn across the roman blind vs pockets sewn in to the lining and then stab stitched?

Opinions, suggestions please?

Philip

Re: Pocket tape VS pockets sewn into the lining

I would never get away with what I would write in answer to your question Philip

Comment

You can sew the tape to the lining and then attach lining to fabric and still stab stich together - saves sewing the rings on.

I have done this method, but dont particularly like using Tape.

Could be used for a cheaper blind

Does anyone do this?
      K W Designs
      Bournemouth

Comment

~ T raises her hand!~

I do but its usually for someone who supplies me the fabric. Terrible arent I!

Comment

Doh - I dont blame you there.

I think is only us that knows better - not the customer.

I only use to do as the shop wanted it that way.
          K W Designs
          Bournemouth

Comment

when I first started making r/blinds, I used tape and machine stitch right through method. Then I discovered making pockets using the lining & stab stitching and would not now go back. Yes it takes longer but the end results are worth the effort. I don't think the tape holds the rods very well.
            Jane

Comment

Hello ...

Many moons ago I made a couple of blinds using the tape ... now I shudder at the thought!!

I think that the pockets on lining with stab stitching look fab!!

By the way, did anyone try out the hook clips ( that clip onto the rod and rules out the need to sew on the rings)

Emma x

Comment

Hi

No I think that roman blinds are made in so many different ways and unless a customer specifically asks for the blind to be made in a certain way the customer is not aware how better it looks without the tape.

Does that make sense.

I personally make my own pockets out of the lining and have to sew the rings on - if a customer says she wants tape then she has tape.

Kathy
                K W Designs
                Bournemouth

Comment

Well at the risk of being labeled a dreadful blind maker.........I USE BOTH!!

I personally find that, from the front, the final effect of using either is similar for both (I only stitch it onto the lining.) Some people like the fact you can remove the rods from the tape for easy cleaning, and if the blind is going into a childs room, sometimes the customer feels happier with the tape as a child yanking hard on the cord can be a little less than gentle and they feel that rings sewn directly onto lining may not suffice. I find that the fibreglass rods sometimes poke out of the 'end spaces' but a tack soon sorts that out.
                  If the customer supplies their own fabric, then I usually use tape.
                  I make pockets too. I always use these for any downstairs window. I find making pockets are quicker than lining up the tape, but then sewing on rings take longer than clipping on ess hooks and rings onto the tape!

All my blinds are neat, well lined up and work well, so using tape in the correct way isn't, in my humble opinion necessarily a bad thing. Of course....maybe I am just peculiar

Comment

In the workroom where i started ,the only way we used to make blinds was interlined, then the rods on top, stitched every 4"or so above the rod and under it to keep the rod stable ,the stitch would catch through to the front and be secured at each end. The lining would be laid over flat , then the rings sewn on, the stitch would go under the rod . The reason for no rod pockets was they said because they thought it made the back look messy!
                    So now i have thanks to all of you now know how to make channels in the lining.

Comment

I never use the tape - I hate it the look of it. Always put my own rod pockets in the lining. I have never had a client come to me and ask me to make a roman with tape, if I did I would explain nicely that that is not my standard procedure and point them in the direction of having rod pockets.

As for the clips - have never tried them and don't think I would trust them. I love sewing rings on at the end of making a blind its a nice job that doesn't take a lot of thinking about and a satisfying one, knowing that you are nearly at the end of making that particular blind.
                      Kindest Regards,
                      Karen

Comment

I always sew rod pockets in to the lining, then attach the rings using my machine on the zigzag stitch with the feed dog dropped as schuhby does with his bar tacks.
                        I then sew stab stitches by hand can't seem to get the best finish with a machine stab stitch especially if the blind is wide.
                        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Sorry I will go as far as to say I hate tape and never would use it in a million years, this is just my opinion The machine stitching looks unsightly, I dont sew rings on either I use an eyelet press, as for rods I use quarter " alliminum rods this gives a great weight to the blind, wither it's narrow or wide. So i will always go for pockets sewn into the lining every time.
                          TIA
                          Gerry

Comment

Working...
                          X