A bulk issue - to interline or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bulk issue - to interline or not?

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a dilema I seem to be having with very long roman blinds. They are three in a row - window, door, window each about a foot apart. The windows are 195cm drop and the door 252cm drop. The client wants delux rotary tracks which is fine but I was going to interline them and not having had much experience with these tracks was unsure as to whether interlining would make them all too bulky when pulled up. I was planning on using 160g domett interlining. Any thoughts from anyone?

Many thanks
    Penny

Re: A bulk issue - to interline or not?

Hello Penny,

I have to say that I now interline all of my Roman Blinds. I found some old posts on here when I joined about using bonded interlining as an interlining for Romans as it keeps its shape and I have to say I've never looked back. I do not find it bulky at all and certainly gives a clean smooth finish.

Comment

Hi Rosie and thanks for your reply. When you say bonded interlining do you mean the combined lining and saril interlining?

Penny

Comment

Hello Penny,

Yes, sorry, I do.

Comment

Rosie - when you use the bonded interlining how do you make the rod pockets? Do you use roman blind tape?
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi All,

Happy New Year to you All.

I'm still confused on how to use the bonded interling on Romans. I would be worried that the sides would be thinner than the rest of the blind as they don't have any interlining in them? Can anyone confirm the best method?

Thanks,
            Sue.

Comment

Using the bonded interlining

Hello,

I simply use it in place of regular (domette/bump/sarille) interlining and cut it the same size as my finished blind or a couple of mm narrower if the face fabric is very bulky.

I put the intrlining on the back of the face fabric with the furry side down - it clings really well to the face fabric. I iron in my sides and iron down my head so I know Ive got the perfect size before I lock it in place as you would interlining (I don't bother if the blind is small). I then herringbone the sides and top down onto the bonded lining and then line with my regular roman blind lining which I have already prepared with my rod pockets stitched in. I slip stitch the two together as I would a curtain. Next I turn up my hem, face fabric and lining and slip stitch in place, put my weight bar in and put my rods in. Then I stab stitch as required.

I read some posts from Penny and the Apprentice where they had interlocked all the layers to avoid stab stitching and gave this a go. Beautiful results but time consuming. I'm keeping this up my sleeve for any very smart jobs I get!

I know I'm not the worlds best at explaining but hope this is at leeast a bit clear.

Comment

Thanks - that makes sense now. I guess you find the bonded interlining is more stable than ordinary interlining? Perhaps useful when you have a fabric that needs a bit of extra 'body'.
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Many thanks Rosie for the full explanation - I think I will get M&D to send me a sample unless you know of a better place to get it from?
                  Penny

Comment

Working...
                  X