Bonded blackout vs blackout+interlining

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonded blackout vs blackout+interlining

Hi all, I'm making my first roman blind that requires blackout lining and have a few questions to pick your brains with.

I currently only have some blackout lining and some domette interlining in stock. Now I was planning to just use this rather than bonded blackout but looking at my training notes it advises that we lay the interlining on top of the face fabric, then the blackout, then line as normal, making the rod pockets out of the lining etc. My question is that if the interlining is sandwiched between the blackout and face fabric, I won't be able to stitch the hem and side turnings into it, as I would be able to do if the interlining is above the blackout and therefore avoiding having to stitch into the blackout. Does that make sense? I'm wondering why we have been told to do it this way and hope that someone can advise?

Secondly, which is everyone's preferred bonded blackout lining?

Thirdly, I've been reading up on avoiding the dreaded stab stitch pinholes when making romans up with blackout, and I was wondering whether Copydex or some such latex based glue might be workable to dab onto the back of the stitch - it might be better than using Tippex or other such things as I've seen suggested. Is this a terrible idea?

Many thanks for any light you can shed!

Re: Bonded blackout vs blackout+interlining

I use bonded blackout for my romans - I like the stability (the 2 layers are bonded together), using it as an interlining means you can take it right to the outside edges of the blind, if you place the blackout layer against the back of the fabric you can herringbone etc. into the interlining layer without piercing the blackout.

I always tell my customers that blinds are stitched, therefore there will be pinholes of light during daylight hours. Personally I don't like the idea of using glue, Tippex or other fixes on the back of the blind as I worry they will show and/or fall off in use.

Ages ago I would use blackout to make the rod pockets, but realised that the blackout did not then go to the outside edges of the blind itself.

I think Penny uses black bolton twill in her romans as well as interlining to get the blackout effect, this is not coated so there are no problems with piercing the blackout layer.

I use bonded blackout from Hallis Hudson code H154 as it is soft and folds nicely.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Gemma,

Your training notes are correct, but possibly written a bit before bonded blackout came on the scene. With bonded blackout, I lay the blackout surface on top of the face fabric, then you can herringbone the hem and sides into the fluffy bonded surface. No stitches on the face fabric! Then use normal lining to cover everything and to make the rod pockets. I have in the past used ordinary blackout lining without interlining, sticking everything together with DST - worked like a charm!

My preferred bonded blackout lining is supplied by Edmund Bell.

Stab stitches - I like to 'manage my clients' expectations', so I tell them there will be a few tiny, pinprick holes, but this is essential to the construction and working of the blind. I have also seen that some people dab the holes with Tippex, but surely you can only do that on the actual blackout? I don't do my stab stitches until the lining is already in place, so I can't get to the blackout by that time. I'm sure there are other construction methods that make this an option, but I have never had any complaints.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Kate

Comment

Fab replies, thanks ladies - I have ordered some bonded blackout (my teacher doesn't use the bonded as she doesn't like it so I think that is why the interlining/blackout combo is advised in the notes) so am looking forward to trying that out. I've also warned the client that there may be pin pricks - this seems like the most logical course of action and I've put the copydex back in the drawer!

Comment

Just a footnote - I never put bonded interlining in curtains....
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I dont use bonded blackout on curtains either - but always on roman blinds where blackout it needed.

I've started stab stitching these with quadruple thread (thread your cotton through your needle as double and then pull the length down so you've got quadruple). Then I secure the thread to the lining and stab stitch once only, then secure again. This causes there to be little or no light bleed.
            Jacqui
            Quarndon Curtain Design

Comment

Originally posted by JacquiF View Post
              I dont use bonded blackout on curtains either - but always on roman blinds where blackout it needed.

I've started stab stitching these with quadruple thread (thread your cotton through your needle as double and then pull the length down so you've got quadruple). Then I secure the thread to the lining and stab stitch once only, then secure again. This causes there to be little or no light bleed.
              Thank you for sharing the tip about the thread Jacqui. Will it a go.

Comment

Hi! Could I ask what DST mean? I'm going to make only blackout and lined roman blinds.
                Are you interlock all layers separately or just stab stitch at the end?
                Thanks !

Comment

DST is double sided sticky tape.

When I make blackout blinds I use blackout bonded interlining and stab stitch.
                  Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I have not used a bonded blackout lining as yet so do seperate layers for the lining and interlining, just a note if you do this at any time then you must use a lighter weight interlining.

Kind Regards
                    Christine

Comment

Thank you Louise!
                      I have this tape , but never use it on blinds. Interesting...��
                      Do you stick all layers there rods are?

Comment

I don't use DST on blinds....
                        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I own up to using DST on a blind that I have just made. The face fabric was very fluid so I put the fluffy side of the bonded blackout against the face fabric and to avoid stitching I used DST down the sides instead of herringbone stitches. Worked fine. I also changed the hem method and used the DST to anchor the face hem and then stitched the lining by hand. It was quicker than hand stitching and worked well, but doubt that I would do it regularly. I think some others use it much more. Perhaps worth a try, or keep in mind if you get a suitable fabric.

Enid

Comment

DST is invaluable for keeping the layers in place and flat while machining the buckram strip and velcro to the top of the blind before folding the edge down and slip stitching.

Best wishes
                            Liz

Comment

Which DST do you use Ladies? I havent tried it.
                              KarenS

Comment

Working...
                              X