Border layout on roman blinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Border layout on roman blinds

Next week's job is two roman blinds using two fabrics. The central panel on each blind is a fabric print of Andy Warhol's Marilyn Monroe, with large repeating squares of the portrait. I therefore want to keep each blind using complete portraits only - no part heads anywhere. We've decided on a cream border on sides and bottom.

I'm now considering which option will look best - have the side borders run the entire length of the blind with a small chunk of bottom border in the middle below Marilyn, or to make the side borders the same length as the marilyn panel and have the bottom border run the full width of the blind.

I'm unsure as to which will look best and would really appreciate your input.

I also wonder about mitering the face corners of the border. That way it would be much neater. I'm making them by hand so it would mean having the "ugly" bit at the back covered by lining. Maybe that's the best option...

Re: Border layout on roman blinds

Mitres look best, unless the difference between the width of the side borders and the bottom border is very great. In that case, I'd do a bottom border the whole width of the blind, unless you would have to have a join, in which case I'd do it the other way.
    That wasn't terribly helpful, was it!
    I think I need to know size of blind and width of fabric before giving any coherent ideas.
    Is Fife as cold as Aberdeenshire? My brain synapses have slowed down.

Comment

Not knowing the dimensions, and if mitring is not chosen (and having consumed a large glass of red wine) I would prefer having the bottom border the full width of the blind, something about the horizontal nature of the folds in the blind being echoed by the border.........
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Dont worry Louise I would agree with you (not had any wine for months!)
        K W Designs
        Bournemouth

Comment

I think I'll go for mitering the front corners of the border. I just think that'll look neater. It's not the width of the blinds that's the reason behind adding the border, but the fact that we've only got so much fabric to work with and it's such a massive pattern repeat. I want to use full portraits only.

Ta

Comment

Hi Bluebell,

Wish I had a funky Marilyn print to work with. Many of my clients are very conservative in their choice of fabrics. I love it when someone chooses something a bit wild! (Not beige would be a start!)

Sue.

Comment

It's actually bringing on a migraine, it's so bright and jarring. Well funky though.

I've got the borders sewn in place and the corners mitred. I had a bit of a fight with one blind as the side borders are quite a bit wider than the bottom border. The other one forms a perfect 45 degree angle, but this one doesn't work as neatly. Still, it's a nice effect and much better than leaving them blocky.

Comment

Hi Bluebell

Fabric sounds great can I ask where you got it. Love to see the pics when you have finished...

Irene

Comment

Client bought it herself, in either Mandors or Remnant Kings in Glasgow (can't remember which bag it came out if). Sorry I can't tell you more as there's no identifying marks on the selvedge to tell me manufacturer. It's really effective and is going to look fab in the teenage daughter's bedroom.

Comment

Working...
                  X