Top of the blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top of the blind

Hi all, I know this has been covered before but I thought I'd ask for your advice anyway.

I have read topics concerning how to finish roman blinds at the top and we've all got different ways of doing it. Personally I usually machine through the velcro which I know gives a line of stitching visible on the front of the blind but it's never been a problem with my clients...until now!.

I have a client who wants 5 blinds 3 of which are a huge drop of 265cm. They are to be interlined (not bonded but the proper stuff) and hung on lovely rotary headrails. The thing is that she has been talking to her interior designer friend who said that they can be made with no stitch lines at the front at all.

I have made them like this a couple of times, stitching velcro above the fold and then turning back down and slip stitiching, but only on small drop blinds. My concern is that the weight of the blind will make the top insecure if I use this method. I want them to sit tight to the headrail and be nice and flat when down, I don't want the top to sag because the stitiching is too loose.

What would you guys do? I am thinking of suggesting just the one row of machining at the top instead of 2 to see if she'll go for that?!?
    Kim

Re: Top of the blind

I do all my blinds, whatever the size (and I have done some very long & wide ones) by machining the velcro above the fold and handstitching the bottom line and wouldn't go back to machining through the face fabric now. I've never had a problem with the handstitching not being strong/tight enough but if you are concerned, make your stitches nice & tight & close together so there's plenty of them.
    Jane

Comment

I do mine just as Jane does BUT I hand sew just below thebottom of the velcro line taking a stab stitch through to the front ever other stitch. I tend to slip stitch 1 cm stitches taking the stab stitch through every other stitch so every 2 cm in theory. It does tend to hold the front fabric to the headrail better with no way of the face fabric falling forward.This method is the one I use all the time now.

I have just finished hand printed silk blind on a rotary system and was worried the stab stitches would be obvious but I was really pleased (as was the customer) and it looked really good.

Comment

Hi Kim,

I have made one or two blinds with the heading finished as you mention. I DID have a problem with the face fabric pulling away from the back and top of the batten and therefore would suggest using the method Ambiance uses.

Good Luck - they are monsters!

Sue.

Comment

Hi Kim

I do the same and haven't had a problem yet - in fact the last one 240 com long is still hanging in my workshop as the customer has gone to Florida for 3 weeks!! as you do.

These are the ones I was querying regarding folds. look nice but I keep head butting it!
          K W Designs
          Bournemouth

Comment

As a compromise I would do as Jane says. I made a blind like that once (one row of slipstiching on bottom of velcro) but I have to say if the blind is 265cm then the ceilings must be over three metres and at that height you will not notice one row of machining I can assure you. If the fabric is patterned especially. You know better than the interior designer on the make up surely? However you could just slip stitch the bottom row if it keeps the peace and there will not be a problem at all.
            Karen Rhodes
            Karen Rhodes Design
            Pole Design

Comment

Thanks everyone, I think I'd be happier to bring every other stitch through to the front like Tam does, like you say Karen, she'd never see it at that height anyway.

Wish me luck,

Kim
              Kim

Comment

I often use 'invisible' nylon thread on the top of Romans especially if patterned fabric.

Sue.

Comment

Hi all, I've just done a dummy run using another client as my unwitting guinea-pig! I did a machined the velcro on, then turned down the fold and tucked it under, then slipstitched along going through to the front every 3cm or so. I caught the interlining in under the velcro so it was nice and secure. It does look good although I had to be more careful that it didn't slip out of line.

I have more confidence now doing this on the big blinds.

Thank-you all again for setting me straight!

Kim
                  Kim

Comment

We make our blinds with an extra 10cm at the top, folded to the back, then folded down over the front. the Velcro is stitched to the back of the blind at the finished length at usual, then this flap folds down and covers the machine stitching. As well at that, it just gives a finishing touch, I think, and stop the blind from being completely flat when down. It also solves a potential problem of inside recess blinds not quite reaching to the top of the recess - the fold does.
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Sorry Pen, I'm being a bit thick! can't quite get my head round how you do this. Have you a photo? Kim
                      Kim

Comment

I think I've got it! is it something like this? do you end up with a flap about 5cm showing on the front? Presumably it would sit closer to the blind than this one does?

Kim
                        Kim

Comment

Hi Pen, sounds interesting, do you have a picture that you wouldnt mind sharing.....
                          sharon

Comment

Will take some pics of the latest ones we've done in about 10 days, when I go back to the house to hang the curtains. It is a bit like Kim's picture, but softer.
                            Kind regards
                            Pen Harrison

Comment

I've finally sorted out the pics for the blinds with a flap at the top...
                              Kind regards
                              Pen Harrison

Comment

Working...
                              X