Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing Trim on Bottom of Roman Blind

Hello
    Can anyone please provide me with advice on how to add a pleated trim to the bottom of a Roman Blind? The fabric is Dupion silk and the trim at the bottom is to be in a contrasting shade. Im basically hoping I can replicate something I seen on display in Laura Ashley. Apologies if Ive not used the correct terminology - Im fairly new to all this (one roman blind under my belt)!

Regarding the lining for the blind - Im a bit confused about what I should do. I was planning just to use the normal lining material that I used with the previous blind (not silk). Is interlining something I should consider?

many thanks
    Betty

Re: Finishing Trim on Bottom of Roman Blind

HI Betty,
    Make up the pleated strip and machine it between the lining and fabric. (or you could use a facing of your fabric on the back as well). Use your ordinary lining - interlining is a different material that is used as well as lining, to give body to fabric.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I'd opt for using your normal lining but use interlining too on silk, its a must otherwise the blind looks like a puff of wind . I love the look of interlined silk blinds and compared to a non interlined, there really is no comparison.It givea beautiful lush feel to the blind, just be careful not to use one thats too thick~learnt that lesson the hard way It makes the folds a little too bulky.

Comment

I agree with [email protected] - sorry I missed that you are using silk, and I would always interline it as well.
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison

Comment

Hi there
          Thank you both for your advice - hope you dont mind more questions!

Interlining - from the previous posts, is domette the best option as it will not be too bulky?

The pleated border - being a complete novice I would feel a bit more confident if I was following written instructions on producing this. Any suggestions where I might find this?

Once again many thanks for your help.
          Betty

Comment

Hello Betty,
            I think domett is better for silk as it is smoother and you are less likely to get fluff pulling through!

For the pleats, cut a strip of fabric three times longer than the finished strip, fold right sides together lengthwise and press. There are several ways you can make the pleats - you can pin each one separately and press them, either as knife pleats with them all facing the same way or as box pleats, facing alternate ways. You can use a ruler or piece of card to help measure them.

You can also pleat fabric at the machine - as the fabric is running under the foot, use the point of a small pair of scissors to make tucks in the fabric by pushing the fold back and under. It does take practise but once mastered is very quick to do.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison

Comment

You can buy boards to help set pleats, but they are quite expensive just for a single project. http://www.sew-quick.com/products.php?cat=15 They are probably intended for dress-making so may be too small for setting pleats in larger pieces of fabric like blinds.
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks to thecurtainmaker, [email protected] and Louise for your advice. Once I have the supplies in (interlining) I can make a start and hopefully (!) with the help you have all provided and the books I have now received from the library (the Merrill one in particular looks very useful) it should be straightforward.

Comment

Hello I know this topic was from last year but was it the Horizontal Pleated Border that you were trying to make on P254 of the latest catalogue? If so, how did you set the pleats in please or did you top stitch them? Thank you.
                  Yvonne

Comment

I did this just a few weeks ago but as it was an afterthought I had to sew my trim onto the bottom of the finished blind. I know that is not the correct way really but I like the effect that I got. I made a 1" box pleat strip and it is held firmly in place by two rows of stitching. I thought the pleats would have a tendency to gape otherwise. Picture attached to see the result.[attachment=0:3khqwfyi]boxtrim.jpg[/attachment:3khqwfyi]

Comment

Working...
                    X