Rod pockets & tape..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod pockets & tape..

Thank you for the welcome. I'm a newbie who has just registered with this fantastic site. The Gallery pics. are wonderful. What a talented lot of people!!

I've been sewing for 25yrs but have just started a small curtain and soft furnishing business working from home.

On looking 'thru the site I have realized how much I have to learn!!! In particular I have been searching for more info. on the make up of Roman Blinds. I have always made them with the tape method- i.e. sitching visible on the right side of fabric. On reading 'thru all the posts I now know this is the wrong method to use for a professional finished look. It seems the rods should be encased in pockets in the lining. I have seen lots made up by the tape method in show houses ect. but if there is a better looking finish then I would always want to aim for that.

Could anyone tell me ( or direct me to a site with video instruction ) on what is the proper way to make them up for regular folds or cascading??

P.S. Also is this the correct site to post a new topic?

Cat C.
    Kind regards

Cat

Re: Big hello to all newbies

Hi Cat - welcome.

I have sent you a private message about where to find instructions for roman blind making......
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Re: Rod pockets & tape..

Hi Cat C.

Welcome to the forum, I have moved this post to the roman blind section as you'll raise more comments and interest here.. You may find calculating rod pockets thread interesting.

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thank you Philip, I'm gateful for any help on this. Had some other replies already so that should set me on the right track!!

Catherine
        Kind regards

Cat

Comment

The rod pocket method isn't necessarily the "right" way, it's an alternative to pocket tape.. I don't use pocket tape myself, but I know many do with great success. The tape can be sewn to the lining and then attached to the main fabric using stab stitches.

Philip
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Philip,
            That's a good point. I could still use pocket tape and stab stich 'thru. I thought the blind would look better when viewed from outside with the lining casing method? Am I thinking this 'thru properly, if I use the tape method then I can machine stitch the tape to lining, machine stich side turn ins and turn right side out and then stab stich 'thru. tapes. If I use the lining pockets I would handstich lining to fabric and handstich the weight bar in?

Cat C.
            Kind regards

Cat

Comment

If you have the right tape you can do as you describe - the tape where you can slip the rods in from little slits in the side of the tape tube. Then you can stitch the tape on the lining, sew side seams lining-to-fabric which enlose the ends of the tape, turn right side out and do the stab stitching. Then put the rods in through the slits. Other tape is completely enclosed so you would have to close the ends of tape right at the end, after putting in the rods.

Using the lining-only method you make the channels in the lining on the machine, then handstitch it to the face fabric, then stab stitch. Finally, slide the rods in, and close the ends of the channels by hand.

Does that explain?
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

There is a rod pocket tape that has a continuous series of slots along one edge, called slotted tape. We have one which is quite narrow - only 16mm wide. I prefer this because you can neaten the ends of the tape more easily when making up the blind, then slot the rod in.
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks Louise that info does help. I'm a lot clearer in what I should be doing now.

C.
                  Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Working...
                  X