Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roman blind question

Hiya,
    I have to make roman blinds for a customer. She has asked for my advice. Her room is quite cold so she wondered if
    1. is it better to fit inside or outside recess.
    2. will interlining them help.

So if i could ask for your opinions on this please. Also do roman blinds have much of an effect anyway with insulating??
    Thanks so much
    Sharon

Re: roman blind question

HI Sharon

A tightly fitted interlined blind positioned in the recess, allowed to sit on the window ledge will have an affect on keeping out the cold.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Phillip,
      Thanks for your reply, it makes sense, cutting out the gaps as much as possible....
      Another question, i have never made an interlined roman, do you have a preference as to wether to use lining and interlining separate or the combined version where they are stuck together?
      sharon

Comment

I think Bluebell uses the bonded interlining and rod tape for romans with some success - are you there to pass on any tips Bluebell ????????
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Sharon,

In my opinion if you are able to mount the blind outside the recess you will effectlively cut out all the draughts and cold air that will come in around the blind. If the bottom of the blind can drop below sill level, you will have sealed off the window entirely. Make it wider (about 2-3" either side) than the recess.

Interlining and blackout together will be very effective in insulating the window. Or thermal lining, but I think its a bit on the thin side.

Sue.

Comment

I only ever use seperate interlining.

Philip
            Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I use the bonded product for romans when my clients want the warmth of interlining but don't want to pay for a handmade blind. If you use the bonded stuff, be prepared for it to be bulkier than the separates, the folds aren't as crisp and you HAVE to use the tape instead of pockets in the lining. Other than those slight shortcomings it's a really good compromise, I feel. I'd still prefer to do it "properly" with separate lining and interlining though, as I love making romans by hand - bag lining a roman blind seems so wrong somehow....

Comment

Hi Bluebell - do you use the tape with the slits in the side so you can slip the rods in that way?
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

You don't have to bag out even when using the bonded interlining - just take the fabric to the back and turn under the raw edge and slipstitch. The lining is cut to the finished width.
                  Kind regards
                  Pen Harrison
                  Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
                  X