Vertical blind fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertical blind fitting

I am fitting vertical blinds in a recess on a new build. I have looked at the ceiling recess and it is basically a metal frame that will eventually be covered with plaster board. The whole buliding is a metal framework filled in with breeze block. Is there any way of fitting into this metal or should I ask for piece of wood to be fitted onto the area ( not sure how they would do that, but would like to be informed of the options before my next visit!)

Julie
    Julie

Re: Vertical blind fitting

The metal frames used to fix the plaster board are generally quite thin and can be drilled (with a HSS drill bit) and then screwed,using a self-tapping screw.
    But it would be unusual for there to be any metal in the central part of the recess ceiling, only round the edge.
    You can drill through the plaster board and use plus and screw as usual. I would tend to use a few extra top fix brackets to spread the load, when fitting to plaster board alone.

Hope that helps

John
    John Quine
    Brooke Design
    Fylde Coast

Comment

Was just typing a very similar post to Quiney,
      from what you say it sounds like an industrial building of steel frame construction, you will still need a HSS drill bit and self tapping screws but the steel is much thicker than a typical pressed steel lintel so have some spare new sharp bits to hand, if it is a pressed steel lintel you would see a lattice of holes across the bottom of the lintel and you may end up drilling into a gap, in which case as previously posted you will need a 5.5mm drill bit and some appropriate plugs

Phil
      Phil Lewis
      Shades Window Blinds

Comment

Thanks for that - would I just use normal rawl plugs or are they different for metal, also, will the HSS drill bit fit a normal drill? would I use a 5.5mm bit in every eventuality or can I go smaller?

Julie
        Julie

Comment

An HSS drill is a high speed drill bit, as opposed to a masonry drill bit. They are the drill bits used for wood/plastic/steel.
          Yes they fit into a standard drill.
          If you drill a small pilot hole first, say 2mm, then you will be able to tell what you are drilling into. If you're lucky then it will be either plasterboard with a hollow splace behind or solid plaster/plasterboard. In this case just open the hole to take a plug and then fix as normal.
          If you hit metal then you need to drill the correct size hole to accept a self tapping screw, no plug needed.
          John Quine
          Brooke Design
          Fylde Coast

Comment

Working...
          X