Vertical Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertical Issue

I am currently trying to stay calm counting to 110........I have a customer who requested vertical blinds for the whole house.
    He wanted Blackout in the bedrooms and had said he had had them in his last house. I spent some time explaining that there will be some light coming in around the blind and they are not totally blackout.... fine , fine he says!!

Now they are all fitted and looking great he says they are letting light in around the blinds and had he known, he would not have chosen them and what do I intend to do about it?? I had at the measure appointment also suggested that he have curtains as they would cut more light out for a better blackout effect but he said he did not want them..

He is unhappy and after fitting 16 blinds that look great now wants the issue resolved!!! any advice??
    Lainy

Re: Vertical Issue

An awful issue that crops up many times! Goods supplied and presumably, won't be paid for! I hope you have taken a deposit from the customer, so it's the balance of your invoice that MUST be settled before you do any more work. If he refuses to pay up you have a debt that needs recourse in the Petty Debts Court. I advise further contact with the customer is by email, so any request for payment or any offer you choose to make to 'appease' him is recorded.
    Lainy, you've said everything that matters; he's had verticals before so he knows what they are like, and he doesn't want curtains. There's nothing to put right! I can only hope that after a few days he'll come to his senses.
    Caroline

Comment

I don't suppose you put it in writing in the quote about 'not total blackout' ?
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Does it not sound as if he is trying to get away with it? If he has had them before, he knows EXACTLY how they work and what light they let in. I would not budge an inch on price and take them away rather than let him off with fleecing you.
        So if I was you, I would stand my ground and say you will remove them if he is unwilling to pay, and that you will not return any deposit as they were bespoke items. If he still attempts to bully you, leave behind only as much as he has would have paid for at full price.
        Chancer..............

Comment

Originally posted by curtainqueen View Post
          Does it not sound as if he is trying to get away with it? If he has had them before, he knows EXACTLY how they work and what light they let in. I would not budge an inch on price and take them away rather than let him off with fleecing you.
          So if I was you, I would stand my ground and say you will remove them if he is unwilling to pay, and that you will not return any deposit as they were bespoke items. If he still attempts to bully you, leave behind only as much as he has would have paid for at full price.
          Chancer..............
          My thoughts exactly - Seems like he's after a sly discount.
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thank you for all the comments, He did pay 50% deposit and I unfortunately did not put in writing about them being not totally blackout but that is a great idea for future. I have emailed him again this morning and he is sticking to his original complaint and saying light shows throw between each vertical strip also being very picky,,,,oh I want to be employed right now haha !!!!
            Lainy

Comment

A verbal contract (and any terms given verbally) are as binding as a written contract, just more difficult to prove. I would write with all the facts, that the blinds are as specified, he said he'd had them before and understood about the light bleed and ask for the balance to be paid with a given time, and if not paid then you will be taking the matter further. It's then up to you whether to do so or not, you may decide that it is too much stress and just put it down to experience.
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

" he is sticking to his original complaint and saying light shows throw between each vertical strip "

I have had this in the past when the amount of strips has been less than other times for the same size window... i.e 10 instead of 11 spread over the same area, maybe be that is what has happened this time do to different companies supplying him.

Sarah

Comment

Hi Sarah, Providing the vanes are all overlapping each other correctly and the headrail mechanism is turning properly - ie closing the vanes up tight enough, then the blinds are performing exactly as they are designed to - light bleed included! If that's the case, then you have provided blinds to specification. Often customers don't realise quite how much light will appear despite being advised. I'm often asked for a blackout roller blind in a baby's bedroom and I have to explain that unless it is fitted with side channels, there is no such thing as a blackout roller blind. In fact, the light bleed that comes around some blinds is more piercing than having a soft light glow from a pair of non-blackout lined curtains. Good luck and let us know what the outcome is.

Comment

That is a great point in fact... I agree that a soft light from curtain would be better than that coming in from around a blind,, another learning curve, thank you for all the input it really helps
                    Lainy

Comment

let us know how you get on and the end result.
                      Kind regards
                      Pen Harrison
                      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Originally posted by sarahs View Post
                        " he is sticking to his original complaint and saying light shows throw between each vertical strip "

I have had this in the past when the amount of strips has been less than other times for the same size window... i.e 10 instead of 11 spread over the same area, maybe be that is what has happened this time do to different companies supplying him.

Sarah
                        Could you order a couple more vanes for one of the blinds so that there are more vanes than you need and therefore the overlap is greater (and therefore maybe less light will show through ....) or order slightly wider vanes which should have the same effect (speak to the blind manufacturer). If this works on one of the blinds then that might solve your problem. Something else to try is to make the blinds shut the other way so that the sun is going against them (if you know what I mean) - bit of a faff but doable ..... If neither of these work you need to get in writing the fact that you told him during the original meeting that the blinds wouldn't be totally blackout. As long as he doesn't contradict you (fingers crossed) that might give you a bit of a leg to stand on if it goes to court ...
                        Good luck
                        Last edited by JacquiF; 17th April 2016, 15:07. Reason: Additional info
                        Jacqui
                        Quarndon Curtain Design

Comment

Its not that hard to send out a claim for monies. I can't remember what the web site is now but will look it out if you would like me to. It use to be the county court web site but I think it may now be a gov website, you can also work out a daily rate of interest say percentage over bank base rate. If you give him 14 days notice in writing by email, then still no response send him a letter by recorded delivery enclosing a copy of the form that you have filled in saying that this will be issued if payment is not received. Most people pay up on this and you need go no further. Hope it all sorts out for you, don't let him get away with it totally even if you decide not to take it to small claims.

Comment

Working...
                          X