Advice on venetian blind placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on venetian blind placement

I'm after advice please. My client has asked for aluminium venetian blinds on all to give him privacy in this London flat, with interlined Roman blinds and/or curtains as well, to give warmth and noise abatement.
    My question is, looking at the windows, where would anyone suggest putting the blinds? They are aluminium windows, with ventilation strips at the top, and seem to be tilt and turn as well. The builders have put up a batten above the window, which will make it easy to fit the tracks for the roman blinds or poles, but the blind position is worrying me.
    Rosannagh

Re: Advice on venetian blind placement

Sorry, I meant to attach the photos[attachment=1:172koaj8]french doors.jpg[/attachment:172koaj8][attachment=0:172koaj8]window.jpg[/attachment:172koaj8]
    Rosannagh

Comment

I faced a similar problem with a client a while back. There's a couple of issues of safety that need to be addressed on such a window as the patio door.

There will be safety /fire hazard issues with the patio doors and therefore wouldn't really recommend Venetians as it restricts emergency exit ( in the eyes of the fire regs!) even though there is no direct way out. As an alternative vertical blinds will work and be less obtrusive as they can stack as a single or split draw. Also, the chains on the vertical blinds break on emergency exit so are safer.
      Depending on the recess depth these could be placed inside recess on a 89mm smaller vertical fabric vane if there is enough allowance.
      Otherwise a possibility would be pelmet fascia board with the blinds attached on the underside, the curtain track placed further out from the blinds to give clearance and a flat upholstered pelmet board to cover the lot may work.

If you client insists on you fitting venetian blinds get him to sign a disclaimer for your own cover against any incidents.Personally I'd avoid them due to the safety aspects.

Comment

Perfect fit blinds work well in this situation as you can open windows without having to pull the blinds up. They are easy to fit no drilling required. I have fitted hundreds of these in trendy flats in Norwich where the doors open inwards. Otherwise you will have to fit the blinds on the outside of the recess to allow the windows to open.
        Karen

[attachment=0:1afv45ek]pfit brown frame.jpg.jpg[/attachment:1afv45ek]

[attachment=1:1afv45ek]pf.jpg[/attachment:1afv45ek]

Comment

Thanks for that Karen. Those look good. Is 'Perfect fit' a make of blinds? How are they fitted to the windows - these are metal, not wood? You will see on the window picture that one side (the non opening side) would have to be fitted higher than the other because of the vent. What supplier would you recommend, or does one have to find out the manufacturer of the windows? Thanks for your help
          Rosannagh

Comment

What a fab solution Karen! I'm with Rosannagh, more details please!

Comment

INTU blinds work on the same principle, just as an alternative, available from LCB in norwich

Comment

Intu are much more bulky
                Karen

Comment

Perfect fit blinds come with a venetion blind or a pleated blind with a aliminuim frame around it they have small holes in the frame as to where to fit the brackets you slide the brackets under the seal of the glass and frame. The brackets come in three different sizes depending on what seal has been used.
                  When you measure, you measure the glass of each window as each window requires a blind(the white picure has four blinds) I always have spare brackets and test which size is required when i measure.
                  The frames come in white or brown
                  Karen

Comment

Lots of places seem to sell Pefect Fit blinds - if you do a google you might find someone near you (if you want to take that route) or I think their site is Perfect Fit.

I can't seem to find if they can be fitted to 'traditional' wooden windows - does anyone know?

INTU are here INTU and appear to use a top 'cassette' system - they do say their blinds can be fitted to timber windows though.
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

yes they can be fitted to wooden windows but you have to be carefull when screwing them in as its close to the glass, Perfect for back doors when there is not much space behind them .
                      But the frames are aliminuim so dont blend in as well on wooden windows
                      Karen

Comment

Thank you very much for that lead Karen - did you open a trade account with them, or do you just buy at the online price?
                        Rosannagh

Comment

Most blind companies do them ask your rep from which ever blind company you use
                          Karen

Comment

Working...
                          X