Treating fabric for roller blinds - questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treating fabric for roller blinds - questions

In post below someone (sorry forgot who in the 5 seconds it's taken me to start a new thread) mentions getting roller blind fabric laminated.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is laminating? Is it the same as laminating paper, where it's sandwiched between two sheets of plastic?
    Is it better (I'm guessing it is) than the stiffening spray that Merrick and Day sell? Or is that spray good enough and laminating is just another option?

Thanks

Lois

Re: Treating fabric for roller blinds - questions

Hi Lois,

Laminating the fabric means that there is like a lining bonded to the back of the fabric - makes it a lot stiffer. The front of the fabric stays exactly the same, nothing is put on this. So only the back of the fabric has another layer on it.

I made a few rollers with the spray, however I had a roller laminated one day - cos I didn't have time to make it myself and I would never go back. Laminating is obviously massively more expensive but I think its worth every penny. It depends what you and your client want - I wouldn't be happy making the ones that you spray anymore!
    Kindest Regards,
    Karen

Comment

Thanks for that Karen.

I'm about to quote for some so I'll do a bit of investigating first before I make a committment on prices! I'll offer the spray as a solution but make sure they know it's not as good quality as laminating.

Ta!

Comment

I note that you have had a blind laminated. I have tried to spray a linen and I am not happy with the result and think it would be much better to have it laminated. Could you tell me where you had it laminated- is there a company I can send my fabric to? Mny thanks

Comment

Olympic Blinds will make up your own fabric into a blind, laminating it as well, but it is about twice as much as having one of their fabric designs. So not a cheap option.
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

There is a company called (until recently!) Carousel blinds who are much cheaper than Olympic but supply just as good a quality product. They collect the fabric from you and laminate or stiffen the fabric. I will try and find out what their new name is, but they are based in wales.

Julie
            Julie

Comment

Hi,

In response to Julie's note - Carousel have merged with a company called Novatec in Kent who do all the blind laminating to either cotton linings or blackout linings. Their number is 01843 608782.

Alternatively there is also Lonsdale Blinds in St Albans on 01727 831171 - they offer the same service as Novatec.

Dave

Comment

Are you able to have your fabrics laminated by this company and produce the blind yourself or do they only offer a laminating and makeup service?

Comment

Most of them tend to insist on the making as well, otherwise the order value for them is too small.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Is it possible to spray glue (with 44 or other professional quality, strong art adhesive) the fabric to the actual roller material instead of laminating the fabric?

Comment

Hello Susandee,

I would suggest it is better to have the fabric profesionally laminated and made up, if you want a blind that looks half decent. I have tried the spray in the past and the iron on backing, but I soon learn't it is worth the money to get it done properly

Merry Christmas and may I be the first to welcome you to mydeczo.
                        Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

To laminate fabric for a roller blind the lining fabric (usually a room darkening or blackout, vinyl material) is taped down to the table and a laminating adhesive is rolled over the surface to form an even layer. The fabric is then smoothed over the adhesive and allowed to dry.

One is has cured you cut out the size needed. You do not put in hems, to prevent fraying you can dab a little adhesive along the edges (it dries clear).

A pocket in sewn near the bottom for a wood slat.

After the fabric is cut to size you can attach it to the roller which is either spring or clutch driven.

They are not hard to make.

Some fabrics should be avoided.

I hope this helps.

Warmest Regards,
                          Susan
                          Susan Woodcock
                          Owner, HomeDecGal.com
                          Charlotte, NC
                          USA

Comment

I am sure I have seen laminating fabric for sale from some of the trade suppliers - I have always imagined that you iron it on like vilene. I always have mine made up by blind makers though, from past experience it seems to me that however hard you try they vere to the right one time and the left another and then the edges get caught in the brackets and it just isn't worth the hastle.
                            Janie

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen the laminating adhesive here, although it is available in the States. It does seem quite expensive to get one of the blind manufacturers to laminate and make up a blind in COM, compared to the prices of their standard ranges.
                              Kind regards
                              Pen Harrison
                              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
                              X