Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roller Blind Newbie

Hello and Help Please

Been to see a prospective client who wants me to quote for 3 roller blinds as well as romans.
    I have never made them before so have not much of an idea, out come all the books this afternoon.
    What would you charge for 3 windows all approx 50" by 50".

Any advice would be soooo much appreciated.

Regards
    Julie
    Kind Regards
    Julie Monty

Re: Roller Blind Newbie

This is probably not what you want to hear but I would outsource them.........
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Louise,

can u recommend someone, as i'm the same, just got request too.

sukhi
      Sukhi
      Butterfly Interiors
      Sue Rhodes Interiors

Comment

Sukhi - have sent you a PM.

Other people have recommended Olympic, ABS Contract and Decorquip - if you do a quick search on roller blind their posts will pop up.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I use Lonsdale they are a small family firm and give excellent service. They are in St Albans areaI but deliver nationwide.
          Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Price & Co offer a good range at reasonable prices. I would never make another one myself again! Olympic and Carousel will make up in the clients own fabric as well.

Julie
            Julie

Comment

Everybody seems to be saying no about making them up - LOL
              What experiences has everyone had to put me off giving it a go making them.
              Regards
              Julie
              Kind Regards
              Julie Monty

Comment

there's also www.theblindscompany.co.uk - came across them at Decorex but haven't actually used them.
                Jane

Comment

A few things I am aware of...

- the fabric has to be at a really accurate right-angle to the roller for the blind to hang straight/work properly
                  - you have to cut the fabric straight and accurately to get a nice finish to the edges (can be tricky on a length of fabric 1m+)
                  - pre-laminated fabric is not easy to buy in small quantities, it is difficult to get a professional finish using the available stiffening sprays/liquids/iron-on backings to apply to your own fabric
                  Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Julie,
                    They are easy to make, but as Louise says, it is difficult to get a 'professional' finish. However, if your client is aware that the fabric will be stiffened with a spray, and not laminated, then that's fine.

Spray works best on cotton type absorbent fabrics.
                    Test spray first.
                    cut the fabric, allowing extra on the length to go round the roller and make the pocket at the bottom. Also allow extra in case of shrinkage.
                    Stitch the bottom pocket.
                    Hang the fabric, as taut as possible. Better outside on a still dry day (!)
                    Spray reverse of fabric with an even coat of stiffener and allow to dry.
                    Check finished width.
                    Follow instructions on blind kit to fit.
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

The reason I dont make my own is it is too time consuming and fiddly. When you break down the time scale, the buying in of stiffners and kits, and what you expect to earn on an hourly rate it simply works out cheaper to outsource them. The also look more "professionally finished" being laminated.

A roller blind that doesnt roll or sit properly, that you customer calls you back unhappy with, just isnt worth the hassle of a DIY job! They really are not that expensive for someone to make up on your behalf.

I use ABS Contract furnishers .

Comment

Mmmmmm

Ponder ponder, many thanks for all your advice and I think I will outsource them after all.
                        The phone has gone daft today, so let somebody else do it eh!

Kindest Regards
                        Julie
                        Kind Regards
                        Julie Monty

Comment

Working...
                        X