cutting down roller blinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting down roller blinds

It amazes me how the public think about window treatments particularly in regard to black-out. Yesterday my customer told me she'd bought online a black-out roller blind to fit up behind a wood pole that I'd supplied and fitted previously( with black-out lined curtains) because the son needed more black-out. I commented that there would still be some light-bleed at the top because of the gap between the roller and the recess. Together we looked at the already tight limited space and she commented that she'd ordered it not really thinking about where exactly it was going to be fitted and furthermore she wasn't sure if she'd measured correctly! While I was fitting another pair of curtains and blind in another room , the roller blind duly arrived at the house and so we looked at it again. Its too long by 2cms: "Oh I thought I'd add abit more on , in case I'd made a mistake in the measuring!" she says.
    It must have been my glance at her that she realised that in front of her stood exactly the person who would have helped her out by measuring correctly in the first place and could have advised on positioning. She confessed she was going to get a handyman to fit it and didn't know if he had experience in cutting a roller down. To make her feel less stupid I offered to find a You Tube video on how to cut down rollers. Damned if I'm going to do it as it's 2.85 mtrs wide by 1.5 drop and quite a high quality make by the look of it.
    I've cut down my own supplied rollers, but there'll be no profit in doing the job with one I've not supplied. If only she'd told me well before this , that her son really really was affected by early morning sun, I could have advised on tracks and curtaining/blinds etc. As it was the small roman in the same room also had that small bit of light bleed down the sides, because the deep recess had a splay on it. She confessed she'd bought some temporary stick-on plastic sheeting that would give total black-out ( but was stuck on to the frame), and would I be so kind as to fit that for her?
    As I wanted her to be totally happy with what I supplied, I agreed but said I'd take away the blind to add a band of fabric with black-out lining to the sides. I just wish she'd mentioned how much black-out she needed right at the outset!
    Caroline

Re: cutting down roller blinds

why don't people wear sleep masks anymore? Perfect solution

Comment

I cannot quite get this obsession with blackout. It never bothered us when we were growing up, my two boys slept regardless and my grandsons do as well. I sometimes wonder if its the parents not wanting offspring at 05.30 !!!! I know some folk do have a real problem and I understand that but who puts the idea into the children's heads on the first place??? We get little enough sun on this country, do hot sunny places have the same ideas?? No, they use shutters.
      Enid

Comment

I've recently fitted some of the duo roller blinds (I was only acting as fitter) that were 'blackout'
        The customer was surprised that it didn't make the room dark. (in my opinion they are actually one of the worst blinds for attempting to block out light)
        John Quine
        Brooke Design
        Fylde Coast

Comment

Originally posted by enid View Post
          I cannot quite get this obsession with blackout. It never bothered us when we were growing up, my two boys slept regardless and my grandsons do as well. I sometimes wonder if its the parents not wanting offspring at 05.30 !!!! I know some folk do have a real problem and I understand that but who puts the idea into the children's heads on the first place??? We get little enough sun on this country, do hot sunny places have the same ideas?? No, they use shutters.
          Enid
          I totally agree with you Enid. When Paul is away I don't even bother to close the bedroom blinds - I like being woken by the light rather then an alarm clock. BTW nobody can see in LOL - I'm not that mean.

Maz

Comment

Originally posted by Quiney View Post
            I've recently fitted some of the duo roller blinds (I was only acting as fitter) that were 'blackout'
            The customer was surprised that it didn't make the room dark. (in my opinion they are actually one of the worst blinds for attempting to block out light)
            Spot on here Quiney! You can call the fabric 'blackout' because it is technically, but like a vertical blind you can never achieve a blackout because the light will filter through the stripes.

I have a customer that will never refer to blinds as 'blackout' only room darkening.
            Peter Ford ¦ Decorquip

Comment

Working...
            X