Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reefer/Swedish/Oriental blinds

Hi

I'm new to this and have had a look through the web site to try and find instructions on how to make roller blinds but the soft ones which roll up inwards using two contrasting fabrics with 2 rings at the top. I can't seem to find any instructions on how these work or how to make them anywhere. Does anyone have any instructions please? Much appreciated.

Re: Reefer/Swedish/Oriental blinds

Hello and welcome to the forum JOsborne!

The blind is a simple construction really, usually made with a contrasting lining that shows at the bottom roll of the blind. The blind needs to be made longer than the finished drop as you always want to see the roll at the bottom, but take into account the bulk.

Both back and front fabrics are cut to the same size, sewn together, bagged out and pressed. Use a length of wood at the bottom, maybe a broom handle to roll the bottom fabric around, I always staple the fabric to the broom handle / wooden weight and ensure all wrinkles are smoothed out - Alternatively you can sew in a channel to carry the wooden weight.

Attach the top with velcro as you would a roman blind. The picture below shows a blind with rings sewn at the top to carry the cording.

Use screw eyes at the back of the blind, screw into the batten to carry the cords.. As with romans blinds, ensure the cording and top fixings are lined up for smooth operation. The cords at the back are predominantly fixed as all movement happens at the front.

Recommended reading: Curtains, Cushions & Blinds by Merrick & Day

Hope this helps, if you need any further help just shout.

Philip

[attachment=1:1o1sxtqf]reefer1.jpg[/attachment:1o1sxtqf]

[attachment=0:1o1sxtqf]reefer two.jpg[/attachment:1o1sxtqf]
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi philip

Thanks for that.

They do look nice but it does seem a bit of a faff. I like Roman blinds and was wondering how much work these took.

Cheers

JOsborne

Comment

I'd say the reefer is much easier, but won't hang as crisp as a well made roman. The reefer is basically a duvet cover with a weight at the bottom pulled up with simple cording.

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Have just found this post as a friend of mind has described these as what she wants - I call them stagecoach blinds.

Having only just skimmed through the post, I'm not sure how the cords work to pull up the blind, but Lauren wants 'pretty bows' holding up the blind. Am I right to assume that this would simply be an addition of false strips of fabric with fixed bows that would somehow be fastened once the blind was pulled up?
          Chris

Comment

To be pedantic, I think tie-up blinds can be called stagecoach - not quite the same as reefed/Swedish blinds that have a pull cord system to raise and lower the rolled up fabric.

Stagecoach blinds have to be rolled up and down by hand, and tied in place each time which can be a pain. For this reason they are usually decorative rather than functional.

Reefed blinds have cords running down the back and up the front of them which feed through screw eyes (like you would use with a roman) then down to the side of the blind on a cleat. You pull the cord to raise the blind. There are good instructions in Maureen Whitemore's ' Home Furnishings Workbook' if you have that?

The second photo Schuhby posted is a Swedish blind as it has glass rings at the front with the cords threaded through. The method for them is in the M&D book he recommended.
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Does anyone where to get the glass rings from?

Comment

There used to be a couple of places in the UK that sold them but both have disappeared in the last year or so. A solution may be to use rings made for perspex/acrylic poles which are available from many pole suppliers (trade and retail).

The photo Schuhby posted of a Swedish blind are from a fabric designer called Vanessa Arbutnott - I guess they might be able to say where they got them from?
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I found clear acrylic rings at M&D in various sizes.
                  Warm Regards,

Lizzie
                  Signature Interiors

Comment

Originally posted by lizziesi
                    I found clear acrylic rings at Merrick & Day in various sizes.
                    Can you post a link please?

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

You won't believe where I found some..........Dunelm Mill!......dead cheap too. In packs of about 20 I think. Word of warning, don't bother asking, the assistant said they didn't sell them! However I had seen them a while back, and I found them. Just look around yourself.

Comment

Bits and Bats also do them in bulk.

Comment

Are we talking 13mm acrylic rings like you would use on roman blinds - or something larger?
                          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I have been in touch with Vanessa Arbuthnott and they can't source the glass rings now either!
                            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Louise gave a good description of the differences in the rolling features among Stagecoach, Reefer, and Swedish blinds. What is the difference between fabric Oriental and Reefer blinds? Is the cord pulling technique the same in Oriental blinds as in Reefer blinds (cords from the back coming up the front to screw eyes or pulleys mounted on the top batten)?

Comment

Working...
                              X