London blinds outside the recess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London blinds outside the recess

Has anyone any tips for installing London blinds outside the window recess?
    I've been asked to make a pair of blinds which will be fitted to the architrave (there are working wooden shutters) and which will be fully lowered occasionally.

I'm assuming I'll have to use a cassette headrail, but the return on a headrail isn't very attractive. Is there a way of returning the blind to hide the headrail? Or any other options?
    CatherineL
    Catherine Lepreux Interiors

Re: London blinds outside the recess

yes, you can have returns on London blinds
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...eaf0506195.jpg
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

What a beautiful example of a London Blind, Pen!
      Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by thecurtainmaker View Post
        yes, you can have returns on London blinds
        https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...eaf0506195.jpg
        That's exactly how I've made them, the return finishes them off perfectly. Just extend the width by the return size.
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Could you mount the blind/returns on a shallow pelmet board and use a compliant roman cord lift track attached to it (instead of a more expensive chain operated rotary track)?
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Just starting to think through the implications of the BS as applied to a London blind .... I can envisage huge problems when there are only two cord reels carrying quite a bit of weight. Would it be possible to use eyelets screwed into the pelmet board with separate draw cords for the two pleats? Assume that this would also be a no-no, as the cords could wrap round each other to form a loop. One not to recommend to customers in the future! I haven't done a London blind for ages. What a shame - and what a beautiful illustration, Pen.

Comment

have to put my hand up - not my work, just as an illustration
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Really helpful, as always, thanks everyone! I think a mockup will be the way to go first.

And Pen, that's a beautiful illustration, thanks for sharing ☺
                CatherineL
                Catherine Lepreux Interiors

Comment

I'm also just making a London blind. The pic Pen posted is lovely. I may need to introduce some piping!

Two questions: Is it just personal preference whether you have the pleats completely open as in that pic or closed at the top so the blind is flat? The one I'm making is non-working, just to dress the top of a floor length window. I was going to close the top of the pleats as in M&D but perhaps I will make that section smaller now so we will see more of the pleat.

As this is going to be non working I was planning on using a batten with orbs and a cord connector/breakaway with cleat which could be hidden behind the blind. Is there any reason why I would have to use a cassette that I haven't thought of?

Thanks

Diana

Comment

If it's non-working do you need a cleat? Could you use a batten then thread cord through the rings and simply tie-off?
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Originally posted by DianaM View Post
                      I'm also just making a London blind. The pic Pen posted is lovely. I may need to introduce some piping!

Two questions: Is it just personal preference whether you have the pleats completely open as in that pic or closed at the top so the blind is flat? The one I'm making is non-working, just to dress the top of a floor length window. I was going to close the top of the pleats as in M&D but perhaps I will make that section smaller now so we will see more of the pleat.

As this is going to be non working I was planning on using a batten with orbs and a cord connector/breakaway with cleat which could be hidden behind the blind. Is there any reason why I would have to use a cassette that I haven't thought of?

Thanks

Diana
                      I use cable ties to permanently tie up non-working blinds. No need for cords, orbs or cleats. They come in all sizes. I get mine from the pound shop.

Comment

Thanks for that idea Louise and Sue. No cleat used on that non-working blind and customer happy!

I now have more to make for a bay - the central window is 190cm x 160cm. Customer would prefer one blind with two scoops to two separate blinds side by side. That would mean only three cord drops and about 3 metres width of fabric including the pleats (lined and interlined) on a cassette. Any thoughts on whether a good quality 1:4 cassette would work ok with only three cords on such a wide blind? These ones will need to be lowered on occasion. Thanks, Diana.

Comment

Originally posted by DianaM View Post
                          Thanks for that idea Louise and Sue. No cleat used on that non-working blind and customer happy!

I now have more to make for a bay - the central window is 190cm x 160cm. Customer would prefer one blind with two scoops to two separate blinds side by side. That would mean only three cord drops and about 3 metres width of fabric including the pleats (lined and interlined) on a cassette. Any thoughts on whether a good quality 1:4 cassette would work ok with only three cords on such a wide blind? These ones will need to be lowered on occasion. Thanks, Diana.
                          I would be worried that the orbs will slip with all the weight they are supporting.

Comment

I have just made this London Blind for my bathroom, it has returns, dont think it would look right without them. This one is fully operational, but I love the idea of the cable ties for non operational ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150922_20_22_01_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	115419
                            Gail

Comment

That looks beautiful Gail- what an elegant bathroom you must have!

Best wishes
                              Liz

Comment

Working...
                              X