Swedish blinds/headrail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swedish blinds/headrail

I noticed on Vanessa Arbuthnott's website that they are offering Swedish blinds on a headrail system with a chain...has anyone made Swedish blinds using a child safe headrail system ? how does it work? love to hear your experience!
    KarenS

Re: Swedish blinds/headrail

No idea. I volunteer you to ring up and get all the details.

Maz

Comment

Ha ha Maz, thanks & no doubt I deserve that! will let you know what I find out...
      KarenS

Comment

Originally posted by kls View Post
        I noticed on Vanessa Arbuthnott's website that they are offering Swedish blinds on a headrail system with a chain...has anyone made Swedish blinds using a child safe headrail system ? how does it work? love to hear your experience!
        I was about to post this as new and found this discussion with no finished answer. Has anyone discovered what she is using yet? I have to make 2 and I was going to use ribbons, the client will have to roll it up themselves but it will be a pain on doors. Are we allowed to make this with cord anymore????

Comment

Bumping up in case anyone has an answer as to whether we can at least make these blinds with cords or are they off limits unless we have Vanessa's magic track....

Comment

I have looked on their website and wonder if they have the info there crossed over - the made to measure romans are described as being on a batten, whereas the Swedish blinds are on chain operated tracks. Both mention safety standard compliance.

Surely it makes more sense that they would be the other way round???? Nothing specific about how they comply or which safety devices are used though...... The photos of the blinds don't show any safety clips etc.
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Sorry, I haven't even considered making a swedish blind post 2014! But agree Louise I can't see how you could make a swedish blind on a headrail system. To make it compliant you would have to somehow fit a tested orb to the cord wouldn't you - so would have to use roman blind cord rather than nicer thicker cord or would the decorquip breakaways work (they aren't orbs but a 'ring' that comes apart so the cord hangs loose under pressure although they have been tested for headrails not battens)?

Comment

I still make Swedish blinds but with a couple of modifications - only for myself so far though.

You need an orb on the end of the cord as usual. I the case of a Swedish blind the orb needs to be at the top behind each screw eye on the batten. As orbs need to be used with cord that has been tested with them what I do is tie some compliant cord to my thick cord (you only need a few inches of compliant cord) and pass the compliant cord through the screw eye on the batten and through the orb. The orb should be attached in some way so that it doesn't become a choking hazard.

Then you have to think about what to do with the other ends of the thick cord. You can't tie them together or use acorns so I would just keep the cords separate. Bind each cord around an inch from the end and then trim and fluff the end. The ends of the cord need to pass easily through the glass rings or D rings otherwise you could be accused for forming the dreaded loop.

You will need to pull both cords together to raise the blind evenly, there will also be a lot of cord to store so I use the 2 part cleats (M&D Holdfasts) rather than a small cleat.

Maz

Comment

Can you post a photo? I'm intrigued to see what I can't quite imagine!
                  Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Carolineblue4 View Post
                    Can you post a photo? I'm intrigued to see what I can't quite imagine!
                    Caroline
                    Yes I'd love to see it too, am struggling to visualise it.

Comment

So am I confused and intrigued Maz. Sorry please post a pic.

Comment

OK, this is my solution. Compliant cord / orb combo. Cord attached to thicker cord that is on show. Orb attached to the batten so that it is not a choking hazard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7651.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	115346

Maz

Comment

What an ingenious solution!

Best wishes
                          Liz

Comment

Thanks for showing us yr blind Maz. Very interesting method.
                            KarenS

Comment

Working...
                            X