Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Relaxed blinds'

Hi all

I have been asked to make some relaxed blinds for some cottage windows. Pic follows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	relaxed blind.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	117634

Has anyone made anything like this? It looks to me as if the blind must be tensioned somehow to stop the sides of the blind falling in... or maybe it has a bottom bar that we can't see? Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
    Annie

Re: 'Relaxed blinds'

This is like a roman but no rods, rings stitched to the outside edges only. If you search for relaxed roman you might find some instructions online, or there are details in Susan Woodcock's book (Homedecgal) called Sewing Custom Curtains, Shades and Top Treatments, as they are popular in the US.

You are right - there is a rod/batten at the bottom to stop the sides bowing in.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Remember, you said the blinds are for a cottage, therefore they must be compliant and the owner cannot ask you to do otherwise.

Comment

That's interesting Louise. When I made romans many many years ago, with the fabric blind wrapped over a batten that was screwed to the window recess, I would put a bottom bar in and then stitch plastic rings in spaced rows as cord guides. No rod pockets, but definitely more rings than just at the sides. It was only when I learnt that putting rods in to keep the folds perfectly parallel did I think that what I did before was to be called " relaxed romans".
        Annie's photo reminds me of a simple Austrian blind where there are many small folds at the sides. It's lovely to know there are many variants on styles, because one can make some unique soft furnishings.
        Caroline

Comment

In Susan's book it is recommended that the blind fabric splays out slightly at the bottom to allow extra fullness in the width to create the 'swag' effect at the bottom, then the bottom bar is set up slightly so the folds fall over it to create the soft effect.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks Louise
            Sadly, customer has changed her mind and is going to buy some sheer blinds from John Lewis. Shame, as I was quite looking forward to making something different. I might have a go next time I have a few minutes to spare ... (as if!)
            I can't think there would be any problem making it compliant, Richard.
            Annie

Comment

Working...
            X