how deep should pelmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how deep should pelmet

hi all! curtain drop 256 cm large bay window. from the top of the pelmet board to the floor it is 262.3- im making a triple pleat buckram pelmet how deep in cm should this be. i know its basic but i just want confirmation thanks brain not quite back yet

Re: how deep should pelmet

Hi Dee

They say valances should be 1/5th to 1/6th of the finished drop and consideration should be given to the amount of light the valance will block. With this in mind your valance should be 43cm to 52cm deep and I'd use a 10cm buckram.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Re: how deep should pe

See: Proportions Top treatments
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Re: how deep should pe

Hello everyone -- I'm new to this site from the US! I have been studying most anything I can get my hands on about constructing window treatments, but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for that addresses the proper proportion for a valance without drapery panels.

I'm familiar with the 1/5- 1/6 rule on windows when draperies are taken to the floor on a full wall, but I wonder if someone could help me develop a rule of thumb for valances only on a window with no drapery panels. For example, with a ceiling height at 274.3 cm (9'), the window itself at 132 cm (52") including casing, and space above the window at 61 cm (24"), then 81.3 (32") below the bottom of the window to the floor, how would you determine the proper height of the valance? Is there a magic formula like the 1/5-1/6 rule that produces pleasing results most of the time? Would you still use the 1/5-1/6 rule using the measurement from the top of the window to the floor, even though the window is a shorter one?

Thank you so much for sharing such valuable information on your site!

Regards,

Ellen Wigginton

Comment

Hi Ellen,
          never made valances with curtains beneath. I think you should go for the valance in proportion to the window, rather than the 'floor length'. Try drawing the window and wall on graph paper, then sketching various treatments on tracing paper. You can then see what is pleasing to the eye.
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thank you, Pen. I usually draw out my designs on the computer using Minutes Matter Studio so I can get an idea of how the treatments will look on the actual window and adjust from there. Just was curious if I had missed out on an easy formula that could give me a chance to double check my own eyes! I never seem to trust myself!

Regards,
            Ellen

Comment

Working...
            X