Grrr- I hate sewing velcro!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrr- I hate sewing velcro!

Thankfully I rarely have to hand sew velcro, but the valance i have just done needed 2.5 metres sewn on by hand.

Shame that it was only once i have finished and my fingers were aching with latent blisters, that i remembered the helpful hint I read on here ages ago.

"Run the velcro through sewing machine (unthreaded) to make a neat row of holes to hand sew through"

Nest time, i'll do that!

Re: Grrr- I hate sewing velcro!

Another way is to machine the Velcro onto a strip of lining, fold over top and bottom of the lining and stitch that onto the valance. Much easier on the fingers and quite tidy .

Comment

Where do you buy your velcro? I get mine from Bancroft (around £2.50 + vat for 25m of 25mm wide so it's a bargain as well). I machine the top and slip stitch the bottom on my blinds. I've never had a problem with hurty fingers. Could your needle be too thick?

Maz

Comment

we machine a 2cm Velcro onto 2.5cm webbing tape them sew the webbing tape to whatever we are doing! Much easier

Comment

Thanks for all the velcro tips!

Comment

A little word of warning when sewing on Velcro that's been attached to a lining strip. When hand sewing onto the valance , attach the Velcro before pleating the pleats. Make sure you clamp the valance tight to the bench flattening the pleats, then sew on the velcro/lining band. I drove myself insane last week with a shrinking valance. Only after re adjusting it twice did I realise it was the band of velcro that was making it shrink not the miscalculations of my pleats and bad maths.

Cut your Velcro and lining to the exact finished width, clamp the valance then ensure the valance meets the velcro width, pin it to death, then handsew!

Comment

I have asked this before so I will see if anyone has tried it recently - has anyone sewn the Velcro onto the lining and then pleated the valance afterwards. This would mean that the Velcro can be machined onto the lining (obviously before putting in the buckram and slipping the top). It would also mean it would be sandwiched inside the pleats and could possibly make them bulky but maybe not. It would avoid hand sewing or shrinking valances as has happened to me on several occasions.

Comment

I have pinned out the pleats/spaces on the lining for a valance and machined Velcro onto the spaces. Then when you pleat up the Velcro runs right across. There are photos in an album on my FB page.
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                  I have pinned out the pleats/spaces on the lining for a valance and machined Velcro onto the spaces. Then when you pleat up the Velcro runs right across. There are photos in an album on my FB page.
                  Likewise, machined into the gaps before pleating. The pleats have too much bulk if you run the velcro into them.
                  John Quine
                  Brooke Design
                  Fylde Coast

Comment

Here are two photos showing before and after pleating

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1062.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	115507

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1063.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	115508
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Just thought that I would mention this tip if you do have to handsew the velcro at any time, I use double sided to attach then very slightly ease it on before hand sewing. You get a nice flat finish this way and no shrinkage.
                      If you use a thimble then it should not hurt your hands?

Kind Regards
                      Christine

Comment

I run the velcro through an unthreaded machine and then it has ready holes for sewing through.

Comment

Lizzy, what a great tip for sewing velcro by hand

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                          X