Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Width Allowance on Hand Pleated Pelmet

Hi All,

Back from hols, and kids back to school now - apologies for my absence, have been trying to catch up on all the new topics, but been soooo busy!

I have a quite wide (6 width) triple pleated valance to make soon. I have found in the past (although I havn't made one of these for ages) that once the Velcro has been stitched on that there is a certain amount of shrinkage. Does anyone else find this happens and is there a standard allowance that I should make. I would hate to get to the clients and find that it is too short for the pelmet board.

Thanks.
    Sue.

Re: Width Allowance on Hand Pleated Pelmet

Hi Sue,
    I don't think there is anything that is standard in this industry! I've never known the length of the valance to shrink when the Velcro is sewn on - do you machine it to a band of lining then hand sew it? Maybe if you measure and mark the valance say every 25cm, when sewing on the Velcro you can make sure it isn't shrinking.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Something that has happened on the odd occasion with hand sewn velcro, not a pleasant task.

If you are really worried why not leave one end of the valance unfinished, and finish off in-situ. Not the most professional approach perhaps, but easier than trying to streeeeetch a six width valance to fit ...especially when the audience is the customer!! As long as both returns are the same length when finished.

Enid

Comment

Hi
        How about measuring off the velcro to the finished width of the pelmet cut it off the reel, then you know you have the correct width for the valance. That way you can prevent it "shrinking" when it is sewn on
        Cheers
        Clark

Comment

I tend to do the same as Clark, measure the exact width of the velcro then cut and then sew onto a length of lining, then hand sew.

The other thing I have found,,,, and I dont now if its just me,,, but when setting in the space/pleat measurements I start machining the channels from the second pleat in and leave the first open, the same for the last. I then, before setting in the pleats , I open the valance to the full length ( less the first and last pleat which have yet to be sewn in ) and clamp to the table, then meaure the finished width to the exact measurement, marking the last 2 channels. I find that on a long valance I sometimes loose a cm or 2 in the width. When making the channels , depending on the thickness of the fabric being used, you can loose a couple of mm on each channel= the valance being finished too short. So, it may not be the velcro thats causing the shrinkage.

Comment

Thanks for those replies. Two things I will do differently are sew the exact length of Velcro to lining and then attach, avoiding sore fingers and possible shrinkage, plus I like the idea of keeping the two outside pleats till last giving you a bit of leeway. Not heard of that one before, but with curtains you have a bit of slack and can get away with the odd cm or two, not with valances.

Thanks.
            Sue.

Comment

Another tip for sewing on velcro is to run it throught the sewing machine first, no thread, which makes the holes ready to use when you hand sew onto the valance. Also when sewing to valance dont just use one long piece velcro. i use more than one depending on the length of the valance, now and then, by a pleat i will leave a small gap, very small, this give you a bit of give and take when fitting it. You can stretch it slightly or easy in a little extra where the gaps are.
              sharon

Comment

Two very good tips indeed, thats part of the function of a forum such as this. As said in a previous answer, there is nothing absolutely standard in this industry....lots of different methods, all tried and tested and all giving a well made finished product.

Moral for the day said!!!!!!!

Enid

Comment

i too put my velcro to lining first and make sure when sewing i flatten the pleat out at the back so right into the stick line. (very good tip for sewing velcro to make holes too never tried that worth giving a go as that could save alot of time) also leaving the ends till last wot a good tip thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X