PATTERN MATCHING ON VALANCES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PATTERN MATCHING ON VALANCES

I know I should not be working on a quote at this time of night - but I am. It is for 4 pairs of curtains and valances all to go in one room.

Please remind me of the rules regarding pattern matching -

Should the top edge (pencil pleat) of the valance be the same as the top edge of the curtains, so that the patterns line up horizonally? The vertical pattern repeat will not match because there will be an extra width in the valances.

Because the windows are all different sizes I plan to have the valances deeper on some of the windows, I think this is correct.

Thanks
    Sue.

Re: PATTERN MATCHING ON VALANCES

Has anyone any advice to offer me on this one please?

Have been thinking about it even more. If I get this job, I assume I would decide which is the most prominent window in the room, work out which part of the design I would like at the top of the valance. Cut all of the valances with the top edge matching and make the curtains to make the top edges all the same. Think I can get away with all the top edges being the same, as the only window in the room which starts at a different height is the bay which is on a different wall. Or am I just being a typical Virgo and making to much of a fuss about the detail? It is quite a large pattern 'Magnolia' from Prestigious and some of the valances will only be 10" deep, so there will be loads of wastage.

Thanks,
    Sue.

Comment

Hi Sue

I'd be inclined to use the most prominent part of the pattern for the valance, you'll never get a perfect match and trying to hard could mean getting it very wrong. The fullness in the valance is generally x 4 anyway which will make it harder. The curtains will spend most of the time in stackback, so I'd decide on the pelmet first as this will always be there.. Cut the curtains to fall from that.

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Do you think I don't need to have the top edge of the valance and curtains at the same part of the pattern?

Sue.

Comment

I'd cut the top of the curtain and valance at the same point personally.. I wouldn't necessarily make all pelmets the same drop, Sue, I'd base that decision on how the windows sit next to each other. If you can follow 1/5 of the curtain without making the room look un-pleasing to the eye, then I think you should.

Philip
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
          X