railroad trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• railroad trim

I am cutting out trim and piping for curtains, valance and a bedspread. I am now left with a 3m length of silk about 55cms wide. I need to edge bind a 4w interlined silk valance, the embroidered SARK, from whats left. Rather than cut about 8/10 small bits with lots of joins, I am tempted to railroad the trim and do it that way. I could do it with two joins only and put them at the far sides. Against the grain, in more ways than one, and I have cut the trim for the rest of the job with the grain but what do others think??
    What a lovely way to spend a cold Saturday.

Enid

Re: railroad trim

Hi Enid
    I think I would be tempted to do as you suggested and railroad as long there is not too much of shade difference.
    Can you pin the silk the correct way on the fabric and then railroaded on another piece to compare and see if there is any difference.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Thanks, Penny. That was my thinking as well.

I have noticed a little shade difference in this silk anyway, but its not a large room and there is a lot going on .....there are bed curtains with a corona plus the other bits, and as the trim will only be 2.5cm finished and up high at the window, I doubt that it will be noticed , but it would look better in one large piece rather than bits.

Enid

Comment

Morning Enid.
        Hope you haven't had too much more snow over night. We haven't had any thank god and I think that the ice may be thawing a little... hooray!
        Anyway back to the question. I think in that case as the trim is so small in comparision with the rest of the job just go for it. I am sure that the customer will not notice and technically it's not wrong. That's the beauty of our craft there is no right or wrong most of the time, just different approaches depending on the circumstances.
        It sounds like it's going to be a beautiful bedroom. Will you be able to take some photos when it is finished and post them?
        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Great, its nice to have a thought pattern confirmed!

Its not one of my jobs, but I will ask about a photo, its all a bit too busy for me, and its a spare room!!

Enid

Comment

Working...
          X