Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple gathered pelmet with border, help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple gathered pelmet with border, help?

Hi I cannot find my Merrick and Day book so I have to mither you all again.

I'm making a simple gathered pelmet shaped at the bottom with a 1" border, can anyone tell me if I need to cut the border on the cross as it is on a curved edge? eg measuring from 9" at the side to 6" in the middle.

Susan

Re: Simple gathered pelmet with border, help?

I would definately cut the binding on the cross if you are shaping the bottom edge, this allows it to stretch when you bring the binding to the back on the curved edges.
    Rosannagh

Comment

Thanks Rosanne, this is what I am going to do.

Susan

[attachment=0:4vv2ukhh]Valance.jpg[/attachment:4vv2ukhh]

Comment

Have to disagree here, its a valance so any shaping is gentle and there is no need to cut on the cross. I would certainly do it for anything that had a sharpish corner such as cushions.

Enid

Comment

I would cut the border strips straight as well.
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thank you all for your replies, I shall do straight strips as now I have my design ready to cut out it is not such a curve as I thought it could be. I shall post a pic when I have finished them all.

Susan

Comment

The bottom edges of valances like this can be misleading. Once they are gathered up they look quite curved, but when they are laying flat on the table before gathering, the curve is usually very slight indeed. I too would have cut on the straight.

Sue.

Comment

Hello again, how do you all attach your borders to the valance/pelmet? I have just sewn the border to the main fabric then thought oops I think I should done that differently as I did not consider the lining.

Would you cut both the main fabric and lining to the shape required then sandwich your border between them before sewing the seam across?

Susan

Comment

There will be different ways folk have of doing this and it will depend if you are binding the main fabric with the border or making the border on its own. I think its better if you have a shaped edge to do the latter.
                  Cut the border twice the required width plus turnings, join , fold in half lengthways and press. Pin the border right sides facing along the raw edge of the valance and sew together. I always cut the widths for the lining at the longest point. ie if the valance is four widths and its 18'' at its longest, then cut four pieces for that plus extra. Dont try to shape the lining at this point. Lay the valance with the trim onto the lining and pin all the way making sure that you follow the curve and sew using the stitching as a guide. Lay it flat on the table, trim off the excess lining, turn it outside, press and hand stitch the side, its easier that way.

Somebody else will do it differently I'm sure, its trying your way and what suits you and the fabric.

Enid

Comment

Thanks a lot Enid for your very good explanation, that is how I shall now proceed.

Susan

Comment

I have finished the curtains and pelmet now and have attached a picture for you to see my efforts. Forgive the dressing of them! I was unable to put them up as I have recently had an operation, as soon as I can I hope to sort them out a lot more tidily.
                      [attachment=0:ys3jyltf]New curtains.jpg[/attachment:ys3jyltf]

Thanks for the help I received off you all.

Susan

Comment

Hello Susan.

What a lovely job and two beautifully proportioned windows to dress as well! You must be very pleased!

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Comment

Thank you Rosie!

Comment

Hi Susan,

Well done those curtains are gorgeous and tie backs to match with piping, you must be very happy with them. I haven't got round to making tiebacks with piping yet. I'm going to bring my sewing machine to Kilkee (seaside) when I go in August for a break and get practicing with all my scraps.

Ursula

Comment

Hello Ursula,

Am being dim... is Kilkee a place name or an Irish word for seaside?

Comment

Working...
                              X