valance help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valance help please

My next project is a valance for my lounge bay window. Now i've done 1 or 2 valances, without too many problems, so i've been looking around for some inspiration on something a little bit different. Have seen a picture (not sure where, might be on here somewhere) of a goblet pleat valance, but the bottom edge 'swags' inbetween each goblet. Get the picture?

Anyway, I like the effect, but haven't got a clue about how to start calculating for the 'swag' bits. I'm assuming that this has to be worked out early on in the project. But when I've done goblets, you only calculate how often and how big once you're close to the final stages, if you see what I mean.

Can't say I can find anything in any of my books that will help me either.

Has anyone in here done something like what I mean??? (that is, if you know what I mean, lol)
    Chris

Re: valance help please

Hi Flooz

If you have the M&D book, Encyclopedia of curtains, you'll find full instructions on page 177, they are very easy to make once you've calculated the pattern. If you have the book please let us know if this is what you want.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks Philip - I knew i'd seen it somewhere, lol. That is exactly what I want, although a quick look make it sound complicated - especially as I'm going to need to 'pleat by design' too, which I've not done before. Not sure if I feel confident to try it or not now.
      Chris

Comment

If you want the same sort of look but without the calculations I can recommend the M'Fay patterns from Collybrook. I have the Queen Anne Valance which can be used to make a similar effect if you choose the pattern pieces you need to combine the goblet pleat with the swag shaped pieces. PM me if you would like more info.

http://www.collybrook.co.uk/acatalog...n_Valance.html
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Confidence is a state of mind and you won't know until you try, a few simple steps to follow and you're there. If pleating according the the design of the fabric you must not cut anything until you've followed the steps below. Full instructions are in the M&D book and you know what shape the paper pattern needs to be, imagine this laying on your fabrfic while considering the fabrics pattern. People often cut and join their fabric and then decide they want the pleats to fall in a certain way, this won't happen as you will often need extra fabric. Consider your proportions too, a little planning at the start and you'll be much happier with the results.
          • Lay a length of fabric out and study the design[/*:m:22uvw52g]
          • Measure the horizontal pattern repeat and decide where you want the pleats to fall[/*:m:22uvw52g]
          • In your case I would decide what I want to fall in the flat area of the valance as this will be more prominent as it hangs[/*:m:22uvw52g]
          • Define the flat areas by pinning across the width[/*:m:22uvw52g]
          • Using pins decide where the pleats will fall and calculate a comfortable space and pleat size[/*:m:22uvw52g]
          • Draw the pattern according to this - Fold your pattern paper - Full pleat space in the middle with 50% of the space either side[/*:m:22uvw52g]

Once you're happy with this, calculate the required fabric for the valance and don't forget the seam allowance, returns and a little tolerance! Make a sample using lining first before cutting your fabrics.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hmmm, ok. I can see I'm going to have to sit down and plan this one properly. The problem is, so often I have to work a 'bit at a time' because of my own time constraints, by the time I work something out, i've not got the time to work, then by the time I get back to the project, I've forgotten what I'm doing, lol.

One thing I have noticed, is this design looks a lot better with a trim on the bottom, now i've already got my tie-backs for the curtains, and I'm struggling to find them again to see if I can bet a bullion or similar to match. So that might make my mind up too.

I'm going to spend a little time soon trying to work it out, and see if I feel comfortable. Don't worry, I'll let you all know! Well, you'll know anyway, because no doubt i'll be posting loads more questions.
            Chris

Comment

Flooz if you take a picture of a width of the fabric you're going to use, I'll probably be able to talk you through it, maybe even draw you a template!

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thank you for your offer Philip, having looked at everything again, I've decided that (a) the end result would be too 'fussy' for this window (it's only a small bay); (b) trying to try 2 new options at the same time, for me would be too much, given that I only get a very limited time to work on stuff like this (you may recall, I run a pub, so time for me is a premium); (c) my confidence still needs some building.

I'm going to settle for either a straightforward goblet pleat valance, or a box pleat - both of which will still require me to pleat by design, which is a first for me (now I know why I like plain fabrics so much, lol).

I'm assuming that instead of joining my widths and then calculating my goblet/pleat size, I need to look at how many 'patterns' I shall get too. the pattern is quite close together, so I shall either work with every 3rd pattern for the goblet/pleat, or look for 2 patterns between them. So, firstly, I've got to make sure I've got the right number of patterns...... right??
                Chris

Comment

Hi Flooz

Again, just a case of planning before you cut and join your fabrics - What you'll often find when pleating according the the horizontal pattern is that you need and extra 1/2 width or so, planning is vital. If you look at qwerty, page 140 you will see a diagram detailing how to set out the pleating. If there is a particular part of the pattern that you want to fall to the front of a pleat or goblet, this will be the middle of the pleat measurement before pleating. The picture below being a prime example - as you can see the pagoda's have been picked out as the prominant part of the pattern, placed in the middle of the pleat allowance and brought to the front.

As with the flat space, if you want a particular pattern to fall in the middle of a space, place it in the middle of the measurement.

Naturally your pleat and space measurements will be dictated by the pattern area you decide to pick out. This is where the idea that pleats and spaces should always measure 6inches falls down..

If making goblet pleated curtains or valances, the buckram size should be small, 3 to 4 inches max.

[attachment=0:3e7na8r8]Bev2small.jpg[/attachment:3e7na8r8]
                  Picture of work by Bev - see original post

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Well, this is the fabric I'm going to be working with. Not my particular style, but it was cheap and it's the right colour (our pub is leasehold, and I'm loath to spend too much money on it). I'm going to be working with 4 (ish) widths, but if I've got this right in my head (I often find it easier to work out for myself than reading the M&D book), I'll need 45 'patterns', that will give me 1 before the first goblet or pleat, 2 between each one and 1 at the other end. So, that will give me 15 goblets/pleats. So, I subtract the required finished width from the actual width, and the result divide by 15 to give me each goblet/pleat size.

If I remember correctly, the last time I made one of these, using this calculation, the end product ended up a little 'tight'. Now is there a formula to ensuring that doesn't happen, or is it just a case of taking a couple of mm off each goblet/pleat size to allow for this?

[attachment=0:354dm1o2]IMG_0003.JPG[/attachment:354dm1o2]
                    Chris

Comment

Another question I'm afraid.........

Now, I'm doing curtains and valance with ^^^^^^ that fabric - curtains are done, and are currently hanging 'dressed' (have 'dressed' to design, as they've been done with tape, but hope it will work....). But .............. while I was thinking of how to do things according to the pattern, I decided that the valance should have the horizontal pattern aligning (visually) with the curtains, so I ensured that I had a pattern to the top of the curtains to allow this (bearing in mind the valance will be pleated by design too). Now I look at them, and realise that the curtains hang (at the top) slightly lower than where the valance will attach (this is difficult to word), which means that in getting the horizontal pattern to align, won't give me the pattern at the top of the valance for the pleating by design thingy, instead it will be hidden (i think) within the gathered part of the goblet!

So ................. would you worry about that? would you think about the horizontal pattern 'match' between valance and curtains? would you still do the pattern at the top of the valance and therefore be at the forefront of the goblet?

Do you see what I mean?

Am I a lunatic?? (maybe it's best not to answer that one, lol)
                      Chris

Comment

Hello Flooz,

The curtains are done so you can't change where the pattern falls on them.

Give your attention to the valance and use the pattern to its fullest advantage. Make your goblets so they have the lovely part of the pattern that you always envisaged them having. At the end of the day, it will be the valance that catches the eye. You can bear in mind the placement of the pattern on the curtains in relations to the valance next time if you're determined to make it follow through vertically.

I fully expect that the ensemble will look sensational when you've finished but PLEASE don't sacrifice the pattern on the valance!

Comment

OK. Well, i finished it all.

Now, I've made mistakes - Firstly, I over allowed for the 'tension' - basically because the first time I made a valance (which because of a bay window, was being hung on a track), the valance ended up too short in width, and I had to unpick all the goblets (which were scalloped) and resew by hand to make it fit. Anyway, because of over allowing for this on this one (again, bay window on a track), the valance is slightly too long in width, so it's not pulled as taught as I think it should be.

In the end, because of the pattern, I decided against goblets, as I would have ended up with a pattern at the front of the goblet, and then another between each one. I thought it may have ended up with too much pattern (if you get my drift). Finally, yes, it's the horizontal pattern, I simply didn't think about it enough, although I can probably adjust the hooks on the curtains to the bottom of the tape, which will adjust it slightly.

I'm happy to accept constructive criticism, this isn't my best attempt, and I know it, although i've not 'played' with it yet either.

I really really really now want to do some kind of professional course - but it's finding the time and the money.

oops forgot to say - it's not the valance/track thats crooked, it's the ceiling of the bay window, the building is 140 years old....

Chris

Comment

Hi Flooz,

I think that you have made an excellent job. Because all of us on here are professionals, or keen amateurs, we all look straight at a completed project and know what we might have done differently with hindsight. Most clients will not notice slight run-off on designs, or pattern placement (horizontally or vertically), just that when you do it as a craft you want it to be perfect.

Do you really think that LA or JL care as much about these things as you or I?

You should be very pleased with what you have done.

Sue.

Comment

I think it looks great. I also think you could have had a pattern on each goblet and one inbetween and it would have worked well, but it is a matter of personal choice. Well done!
                              Kind regards
                              Pen Harrison
                              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
                              X