Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinch pleat valance on a track

Hello,
    Just wondered if there are any pitfalls of putting a pinch pleat valance on a track,opposed to a board. Its going above a set of pencil pleat interlined curtains, on a patio window/door. Any information would be gratefully recieved. thankyou Kitty.

Re: Pinch pleat valance on a track

Hello Kitty
    In my experience pinch pleat valances do not hang so well on a track. The spaces between the pleats do not lie as flat as they would on a board and sometimes the pleats fall forward slightly. Attached with velcro to a board the pleats and spaces are supported along the full length, the valance can be stretched to fit smoothly and will hang beautifully. Hope this helps.
    Debbie

Comment

Thank you Debbie ,
      I will suggest the board instead, should the board be covered with lining?

Comment

Hi Kitty,

there have been several topics on this track V board, try ' searching' the topic at the top of your screen. This question comes up often and as far as I can see most of us would prefer NOT to put pinch pleats on a track for the reasons that Debbie has suggested.
        No, the board does not need to be covered, but it depends on whether it is seen and what wood you have used. It could be painted, takes an age to dry, covered in fabric or lining as some do. Again search lathes and fascia board. If you have to use track you could put the pin hooks lower down the pleat and put them through the hole at the bottom of the curtain hook but there are pifalls there as well. The pleats can droop and that looks awful, and the pleats need to cover the track at the top.

Enid

Comment

if the track goes round the return to the wall, you can put velcro on it as if it's a board, provided it's perfectly clean. Less joinery. if it doesn't, you'd simply have the valance stuck in front of the curtains, like an afterthought, not a good look.

Comment

I agree - use a board if you possibly can. I once put a valance on a track using pin hooks. Whilst it hung ok, the interlined pencil pleat gathered curtains behind were quite thick and kept catching on the pin hooks. I tried to fix vecro to the valance using trim n fix tape. However, this wasn't satisfactory as the velcro ended up 'slipping off' (the track had a channel running through the centre and was thus not flat wich probably contributed to this happening. In the end the track was replaced with a pelmet board, with the result being one happy customer and me vowing never to go down that route again!

Sas

Comment

I would avoid totally sticking a valance on a track as curtains need around 9cm behind the track to avoid the valance moving every time the curtains are opened and closed. I would go for board. Valance tracks are for folk who make their own curtains and don't know about pelmet boards.
              Karen Rhodes
              Karen Rhodes Design
              Pole Design

Comment

And for LA. Next door has LA window treatment using a pelmet track, and it irritates me every time I go in there, as the curtain track isn't wide enough to clear the window when stacked back, and the valance has about six inches of wall under it either side, where the curtains ought to be. You can put a pencil pleat valance on a track with a lot of fiddling, but a board is always better, unless the track is already there, and cost is a significant factor.

Comment

Thank you so much for all of your comments. A board has to be the way to go!

Comment

Working...
                  X