Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverted Box Pleat Valance

Hi,

I recently made an inverted box pleat valance. It was 15 in deep (old money) and used 3 widths of fabric as the customer wanted something a little sleeker than closely pleated. She loves it and it does look fab with the two pairs of interlined curtains behind it BUT I'm still not happy with the way it hangs. I would have liked the face, non-pleated sections to have been flatter and crisper than they were. Should I have inserted something inside to make them lie flatter? I tried 4mm fibreglass rods but they just didn't sit well.. Probably not explaining this well, but how should I be doing this?

Help!!

Re: Inverted Box Pleat Valance

How does this compare Jules ??

Not a good example for one or two reasons but let's see what you need to know first

Comment

Jules I know this is not an inverted pleat but it is a start point

Comment

Well, Its almost. If the french pleats had been bigger and met, they would then form an inverted pleat. I think the fabric I used (PT HipHop) just wasn't able to 'crease' into as 'sharp' pleats as I wanted it to. I wonder if I could have stitched them down, like boys school trousers are stitched to keep the crease sharp?

Comment

How did you get an Avatar? Things have changed and I was only away one evening..

Comment

Mmmm My understanding of an inverted box pleat is that the pleat is formed at the back and not the front. Maybe one of the members can enlighten us a little more. I know it's a suttle difference but there are different ways of forming box pleats and mine is sewn as you would normally sew any pleat and then flattened.

In the image above the pleats are sewn at the edges which is a something I do not practice any more as it pulls the valance into a line which is clearly visible in the picture. in this one I took the stitches out and re-pressed the heading and it looked much better them. The creases at the top are sharp because the head of the valance is formed with 4 inch buckram and I suppose that if you wanted to produce something the closely resembling a flat pelmet you could use buckram over the whole valance. My preference as you are aware Jules is soft flowing fabric and for me a box pleat is a bit cold and crisp. Nice though in the right surroundings

Comment

If your valance was seen from the other side, what you've ceated are inverted box pleats. What you see on the back of yours would be the front and the front the back. I wish I had a photo...

The room is very simple, and belongs to a young couple who wanted something with clean lines. As I said, they love. I just think it could have been better. I did ponder going down the covered box pelmet, but thought this would not show the inverted pleats and would just look like a pelmen with lots of joins in the fabric.

Comment

I understand Jules - I must admit I can't see much point in them really you only know that there is additional fabric there when you look at the pottom of the valance. And where is your pic I'm sitting here waiting to fix it for you.

Comment

I remember the first pelmet I made was a diamond box pleat valance... My mother-in-law loves them and won't have any other, but I will say they suit her small bungalow. I even covered the buttons to match...

Philip
                  Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

What's one of those Philip?

Comment

Marela[attachment=0:3s6jyonj]798458248f4a7eb65bd7d3c50de067f9b30a3fd09f210e9d65 b930dfa917fbc2b9b3618c.jpg[/attachment:3s6jyonj]

Comment

Thank you, Marela!

Did you scan the sketch or is it one you've done?

Comment

Hi

I copied it from the Alternative window sight

l had to make some for my course at NDA, l was having problems with them
                          but all you lovely people help me out and l ending up getting got top marks

Marela

Comment

FYI - it's a line drawing from the NDA course notes. It's one of the standard things you have to make in the valance section of the course.
                            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

The diamond box pleat valance is made the same as the box pleat valanced pictured by ***** - In order to get the diamon, pull the middle of the pleat down and it will fold into the diamond.. Stitch and attach the button detail.

Philip
                              Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
                              X