Pole Swag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pole Swag

This follows on from my last posting in April about a pole swag. My client decided on the M'Fay basic pole swag

http://www.mfay.com/productcart/pc/view ... product=18

(the pattern for which incidentally arrived exactly three weeks after ordering) in the following fabric

http://www.johnlewis.com/9333/Product.aspx

i.e. a horizontal stripe. I would prefer to cut the swags on the bias, and my client is happy with the bias effect, but I've just read in one of my books that striped bias swags look a mess. I'm hoping this is really referring to vertical stripes which I imagine would look more chopped up and bitty. The effect we're after is the casual, just draped over a pole look.
    My next question is about lining up the horizontal stripe on the dress curtains with the tails. I think I need to have the pole and short lengths of track fitted, make the S & T, fling them over the pole and then finish the curtains. Is that the only logical way to go? On the basic pole swag everything is joined together (in this case three swags and a tail at each end) and then arranged on the pole after scrunching the seams.

Thanks for any ideas - I haven't cut anything yet in anticipation of your sensible replies

Angie

Re: Pole Swag

I've seen pics of striped swags with the stripe on the angle, and this is what you would get cutting on the bias with either horizontal or vertical stripes. I dont think it would be easy to line up the vertical strip on a swag with the curtain underneath.

If your client is happy for you to do the job in two stages, I think I would make the curtains first, then you can measure for the position of the stripe on the tail. Otherwise do a mock up in your workroom.

What do the others think?
    Regards
    Pen
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Pen, thanks for your reply. The client is aware the stripes wouldn't be horizontal and she's fine with that, especially as it's intended to look very casually draped. Luckily there won't be curtains underneath the whole pole, so it is just the tails that I feel I need to take into account.

I could cut the tails extra long (i.e. with an extra pattern repeat), bag them out and leave the final seam attaching them to the swags until the curtains are hanging, or hang the swags and tails (which are hung as one piece) and then carry on making the curtains. It's a bit of chicken and egg situation, isn't it?

Angie

Comment

I'm sure I read on one of our posts that it is not advised to cut swags on the bias as the lining fabric may not move/ stretch the same as the face fabric
        Sorry to make u aware of this but if it avoids dissaster then....
        Regards
        Mairi

Comment

Due to the pattern repeat on the fabric not being the same as specified I have a small piece I can cut two mini swags from. I shall go and have a play with them now. It's a good point about the lining, mairi, as the client hasn't chosen it yet as it will probably be a plain face-type fabric to look good from both sides. I don't think I'll cut the S&T until the lining has been selected......... (especially as there's no more of this fabric available). I'm torn between wanting to get on with the work and waiting until I know all the possible pitfalls.

Angie

Comment

Working...
          X