Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swag 'creators'

Has anyone ever used these?

Can you create anything like a casual draped swag with them? Customer wants an informal/relaxed swag style treatment in a washable fabric for her kitchen.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Re: Swag 'creators'

Never seen one, let alone used one. Off to Google for more info.....

Oh, I seeeeee. A bit like the next step on from those pigtail things!

http://www.tracksandpoles.com/access_swag.shtml

Comment

One I did earlier[attachment=0:11lb1rwx]169.jpg[/attachment:11lb1rwx]
      Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

I seem to remember using a pair of these years ago but don't have a photograph to share, I'm afraid. From memory, I used just one length of fabric for a 'swag' and two 'tails'. (only works with plain or semi plain fabric, not patterened, otherwise one side will hang upside down!) I measured the length of fabric and worked from the halfway point of the fabric outwards to each side / swag holder so that you get roughly the same length on each side. I pushed fabric through each swag holder and ensured that the top edge was pulled tighter than the lower edge in order to form a swagged shape. When I was happy with that shape, I then used a couple of small pieces (possibly square shaped?) in contrast fabric, pushing one piece through each swag holder, and pulled it into shape to form a sort of 'choux' - this covered up the holder itself and tidied up the look of things! It would be easier to use chintz, or similar, for the choux, rather than a fabric with no body, like voile, to that it holds its shape. I used a coloured voile and had sufficient length of fabric to allow it to 'puddle' on the floor. I well remember though practising several times before I went to fit it as there were three windows to do and they all had to look the same - nightmare Good luck.

Gilly

Comment

Hi Louise,

I agree with Gilly they are quite a pain to use, and a practice run in your workroom would be a good idea. Personaly I prefer to use ordinary holdbacks or a pole to drape the fabric over as shown below.[attachment=2:3bd5tmni]more curtain pictures 039.jpg[/attachment:3bd5tmni][attachment=1:3bd5tmni]more curtain pictures 019.jpg[/attachment:3bd5tmni][attachment=0:3bd5tmni]more curtain pictures 031.jpg[/attachment:3bd5tmni]
          Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Thanks for the replies - looks like a simple pole or holdbacks might be the answer. I was planning on a plain, lightweight fabric, and folding the fabric into pleats before creating the swag. This is a 3-sided bay with a drop of about 3m so needs something that is easy to match across the windows.
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

You can get a smarter type of swag holder, with a brass finish and more like a swirled hooky sort of thing, through which to thread the fabric. Jones have them.
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Louise,
                When I used fit swag drapes around bays or on long poles, I allways started from the centre and worked out, I would also mark the centre of the fabric top and bottom with a pin, I then roughly wrapped the fabric around the pole to approximetly the depth I wanted, then working again from the centre dress the swags and tails.[attachment=0:2ksn5x9g]62.jpg[/attachment:2ksn5x9g]Hope this helps
                Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Working...
                X