Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swags - side seams?

Opinions please......

When making swags do you need to sew side seams in the fabric/lining or not? The M&D patterns make the swags as a 'bag' before pleating them up. Other books simply sew the bottom curved hem.

I can see that you need to make sure the lining and fabric stay aligned while you are pleating the swag but wonder if the side seams simply add bulk during the folding process, and are then simply cut off after adding the top band with velcro (I want to velcro them in place on the top of the board rather than staple).
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Re: Swags - side seams?

Hi Louise
    I am presuming you mean the pointy bits on the side with the M&D patterns.
    I think its a question of personal preference really.When I have used the M&D patterns I have always bagged out the pointy bits as when the swag is pleated up the points are not included into the top band, I didn't want to be able to see any raw edegs from the wrong side.
    I haven't used these patterns for a long time as I do not find them very easy to make. I prefer to draft my own patterns using the Maureen Whitemore method as descirbed in her book, because the pleats go to the top of the swag are staggered, which reduces bulk and are also enclosed into the top band.
    With the M&D method the pointy bits end up virtually ontop of each other making it difficult to sew.
    This is just my own personal preference Louise and I have been using the MW method for many years and am very happy with it. However that is not to say that I may use the M&D method again sometime.

Hope that is what you mean't.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Exactly what I meant - thanks Penny! Anyone else got any tips?
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

When bagging out M&D swags it's important that you cut very close to the stitch to minimise bulk - Also remember the bulk isn't noticeable when attached to the pelmet board, a good example shown here. Another option that I have used for swagged valances is to leave the sides open, pleat-up and then use an contrast blinding to finish off the raw edges, you may need to bind swags in two pieces.

Philip
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I just stitch the bottom hem, wrong sides together, and turn through (or if interlined stitch by hand). If necessary, I will tack or machine stitch the side seams to keep the raw edges level before pleating up.
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks all - this is my first big swag job and, as ever, I am worrying before I have even started. 6 swags round a 3-sided bay then another 3 swags on another window in the same room. Will hopefully post photos when they are done at the end of the month! I think I will do a trial run with some of my lining off-cut mountain.......
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

hello everyone,

It`s been long i did not comunicate with you all .I wish everyone all the best maybe its late .
              Since november my father got sick and had to help my mother .I used to go to hospital every day and stay all day with him.And the last five of his life i took him home and he died on the 27th dec 2009.It was the worst christmas of my whole life.

I did my last merrick and day swags and i did sew the side seams and it was not bulky. If you don`t sew the side they don`t look neat from the back.

by for now

maria

Comment

Oh Maria, I'm so sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. Please accept our deepest condolences. What a time to loose a loved one. I too lost a close relative over the Christmas period 3 years ago, its doubly hard when the world expects you to be jolly and festive.
                You are all in our thoughts.

x

Comment

Maria,

I'm so sorry.

My father died on 26th December, 1997. Christmas isn't spoiled for ever, he wouldn't have wanted it so. The next year was saddened, true, but the glory of the season comes back, and the memory of Christmases with him remain.

Nic

Comment

Hi Maria

Thanks for your advice.

I am very sorry to hear about your father but thank you for letting us know.
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I want to thank you all for the support.

best regards

maria.

Comment

Louise ,
                        I am sure that you have decided how you are doing this, but I do remember the swags being stitched up, bagged out and the points of the swags a nightmare to sew together when pleating up because of the bulk. Again, I think its another case of finding a method that suits oneself, or a bit of trial and error........as I found yesterday with the loose interlinings!! One done and the next one will be easier, I hope.

Enid

Comment

Hi we use the Parker Hill system ,it was quiet expensive but it produces lovely swags and saves loads of time ,so it has more than paid for itself .The bottom curve is sewn right side together and turned and then any bulk is cut away along the side seams ,so you end up with little tags sort of going in and out( really hard to explain )these are then overlocked and either stapled or velcroed to the top of the board ,they sit very neatly on top of one another with hardly any bulk i would definetely recommend this system

Comment

Work in progress.....not great photos or lighting but I think you can get an impression of how they are going. Each swag is 79cm wide and 45cm deep. Made in LA fabric.

[attachment=2:3nd101vp]sampleswag2.jpg[/attachment:3nd101vp]

[attachment=1:3nd101vp]first_swag.jpg[/attachment:3nd101vp]

[attachment=0:3nd101vp]pair_swags.jpg[/attachment:3nd101vp]
                            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Well done Louise, great job!
                              How did you do your sides in the end and did you find the bulk a problem?
                              Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Working...
                              X