voile swag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• voile swag

Hi i have ben asked to make a swag and tail at one side in voile so no lining. I havnt got a clue as to where to start. Can anyone give me a few tips.
    Karen

Re: voile swag

I had to make a voile swag and tails on a 4m high window that was 3.2m wide. I found the weight of the voile surprisingly heavy and ended up using a wooden batten ( you could also use a pole with velcro attatched along it's length, or at both sides if she wants a draped swag) and stapled the top edge in my workshop and transported it in one piece.It was then put on brackets. I used a very narrow double turn on the edges and hand stitched to prevent puckering. I railroaded the fabric so there were no joins. The tails were3m long and it was a nightmare cutting them out as the voile moved all the time!! You may be able to make a template from soft lining and then use this to cut out the voile. Watch out for the voile stretching when you cut the bias part of the tails.

Good, Luck
    Julie
    Julie

Comment

Thanks for your reply Julie, the customer has chosen a metal pole so velcro is the only option. Luckily the window is only 1.2m wide. I have practiced on some spare voil but cant seem to be able to get the bottom of the swag right as i overlocked it and it just seems wavy, i may try hand sewing as you suggest.The fabric chosen is a patterned cotton by voyage, so may not be as wavy when cut out the fabric is £50 per metre as i dont have an account so dont want any mistakes.(have a shop who will give me 25%discount on the fabric)
      Karen

Comment

As your face fabric is quite expensive, perhaps it is worth considering buying some plain inexpensive voile in the right shade to use as lining? If you made the seams narrow and neat it would help add body and perhaps improve the overall finish.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Silly thought. Could you use a fine seam tape (in an appropriate shade or perhaps clear) when you machine/hand stitch the voile face and lining together so there would be less unwanted stretch but still enough give to allow your drape?

Comment

Or how about using a rolled edge foot - I've not tried it, but it may be a solution.
            Pen
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi i have tried the rolled edge foot no good for this job also tried double side tape but doesnt give the curve i am looking for. Tried hand sewing this i think will work or using a cheaper voil to line may work. I am waiting for the fabric to arrive then i will tackle it. I have spent too long on this job already and i havnt even started.
              Karen

Comment

Working...
              X