How deep can you do swags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How deep can you do swags?

Hi having to do swags and tails for a client and would like to check with you all. I need to do the swags at least 60cm in depthfor the two windows as trying to match up the height to the another windows in the room. The door is 2.10m high by 2.10m I know the proportion should be about 1/5th but i am trying to get this window looking like the others. should i use the measurements of how i want the windwow to look ie height 2.70 or have you clever ones got a better way. Hope this makes sense I think I have even confused myself here.

[attachment=0:lnhk8c3i]end wallof draw room.JPG[/attachment:lnhk8c3i][attachment=1:lnhk8c3i]draw room left.JPG[/attachment:lnhk8c3i]

Re: How deep can you do swags?

I don't think you are going to be able to match the swags to the other window - you would have to have the top of the swag at least 50cm above the window to approach the proportion you want. Maybe put a template on the wall for each window at their own correct proportions and see what it looks like before you start altering them to match.
    Julie
    Julie

Comment

If the third window, which is higher, is to have a roman blind, then I dont think it matters too much if the swags are a bit lower. I feel it would be better to have them in proportion to the windows they are dressing.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi thanks for the input, I have now had the client change her mind and I am now doing a pelmet. I will post when completed. I hated this job from the start. Trying to balance two completly different windows in the same room.

Comment

There is a very interesting solution to windows of different heights in the M&D curtain inspiration book, page 86 - I think it's a great idea and one I will use myself as I have this problem in 4 rooms in my house.
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

ok philip thats the one book that I havent got yet prey tell us.

Comment

I think the basic idea is to mount the top of the swag/pelmet/valance at the same height at all the windows, then design a treatment including a blind (roman or otherwise) mounted behind it so that it covers the wall above the window even when raised. Then when the curtains are open, all windows look the same and the treatments are the same proportion.
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

It is a great idea and one that would have worked if there were not double doors. I will def use this idea in the future and it does raise the question of design to room proportion ie wall height or to window?

Comment

Picture of the finished project

[attachment=0:we8ejh7v]Drawing room.jpg[/attachment:we8ejh7v]

Comment

Very nice, and well worth the wait to see!
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

That looks really elegant - are you pleased?
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

W0W Sophie what a transformation, what a lovely room.

Which fabric did you use? It looks so beautiful

Comment

Thank you Penn and thank you Philip for uploading the photo for me.

Comment

Hi yes I am pleased to get it completed just done 2 cushions and 2 sets of tie backs (not shown on photo) so it really is completed now. I used a fabric called Lilly from Montgomery and a bamboo fabric which doesnt show up in the photo very well.

Comment

Just stunning Sophie, no other words are leaving my mouth!

Comment

Working...
                              X