Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swags

Hi all,

I am not a professional seamstress , however I do appear to have the "knack" for making curtains.

I have made "goblet headings" "eyelet" headings etc etc

I can make swags and tails quite easily . I have been asked to make swags and tails for two windows 1st 62 " width and 2nd 82 " width, at first I was asked to make 3 swags per window.. that is easy for me .. but now customer has asked me to make one single swag for each window.. I am now looking at making 1 swag at 82" wide and 1 swag at 62" wide.

I have measured top width of both swags to coincide with pelmet width , I have added 20" on bottom edge with a total depth of 48" ... but I cannot get pleats exact... someone please help me , customer wants 4 pleats , I have tried dividing depth to equal proportions of 4 and even tried 5 but it just doesnt work !!?? Please help ! .. where am I going wrong ??!!

any help/ advice greatly appreciated

Dianne

Re: swags

Hi all,

Problem solved !

My brain got back into gear and I worked it out .

I have now completed the swags and even though I say it myself they look lovely!

I hung them today for my customer compete with curtains and tails and tie backs and she is really pleased , so much so she gave me an extra £20 !!

Dianne

Comment

Well done you! It would seem your question had us all stumped and we couldn't help.. A picture in the gallery would be nice?

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi,

Yes I have asked customer ( my dtrs sister in law) to take some pics for me ... as soon as she e-mails them I will post to gallery !! ... I am really proud of them !!

They caused me couple of sleepless nights but I got there in the end ! It was really easy , just followed pattern/proportions for 20/25inch swag and altered accordingly ... why I couldn't get there first time round is a mystery ... my one brain cell obviously was away for the weekend. !

Dianne

Comment

id like to make my own swags and tails but cannot find a pattern the books are to expensive to buy is there a pattern i can buy just for swags and tails alone i have tried on ebay but they dont have any i missed one the other day forgot to put a higher bid in as i went out does any one know where i can just buy a pattern thats not so expensive thank you for any help eileen

Comment

Hello, Eileen,
            we sell swag patterns at www.collybrook.co.uk. PM me if you want. I hope this helps.

Regards
            Pen
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Eileen,

Swags and Tails? They were the scarierst thing for me - even more so than...... piping!

I have the M & D Swags and Tails Pattern Book and the supplementary pattern book and never used either.

Maureen Whitemore explains how to draft one's own swag and tail patterns in her workroom book. All you need is pattern drafting paper (Morplan sell Spot and Cross paper for this purpose) a strong cup of coffee (or herbal tea if that's your bag) and a little time to read and re-read the instructions. Once you've had a go at drafting your patterns take a piece of lining and mock up your swag or tail to see how it will look.

It really isn't as hair raisingly scarey as it seems and you don't have to spend a fortune on patterns at the start unless, of course, you're trying to create some of the fab designs that would be totally beyond me or my clients to date. One day maybe I'll meet someone who wants a Morland Valance (sp) and then I'll be on here begging you all for help!

If you don't have the MW book I'm sure I or someone else would be happy to email you......

Good luck with your swags.

Comment

thankyou all for your replys i have seen the merrick book but they want like £50.00 for the book i just want a swag pattern really i have learnt to make the tails but like to do the swags just wanted a simple pattern to copy just once but thankyou for your kind replys

Comment

Hello Eileen

If you searcg item number 320431593696 on eBay you will find a basic swags, tails and tieback pattern.

Philip
                  Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thankyou philip i am watching these only 1 day left so hope to buy these thankyou again for you help all of you eileenx

Comment

Working...
                    X