Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box Cushion Gusset Cutting

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me whether it matters if I cut the gusset of box cushions in 4 pieces (i.e. 1 piece per side) or whether I cut it in 2 pieces, 1 piece the length of the front of the cushion plus the length of the 2 sides and then the back of the cushion separately? I can only think that cutting them in 4 pieces makes the corners more defined and sharper, but if it's piped then I'm thinking that might be enough to define the corners and save some time.
    Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ellie.

Re: Box Cushion Gusset Cutting

Both ways are fine to do. What you want to avoid is a seam in the middle of the gusset unless it's at the back where it's not seen. Although if there's a chance the end user may turn the cushion around to 'even up the wear' that odd seam may be noticeable. Always attempt to pattern match at the seams too, if you decide on this route.
    Caroline

Comment

This video may help from Kim's Upholstery.

Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

If the situation of the cushion allows it, I find it much easier to take the zip just around the back corners. it makes it SO much easier to get the pad in and out.

Kate

Comment

I would always try to extend the zip round the corners onto the sides, so then I would always make one front piece (joining if necessary to get the length), as I don't like having to stop and start at the corners. But both ways are, I think, acceptable. I don't think it makes any difference to the finished look.
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks all, very much appreciated,
            Ellie.

Comment

This video may help from Kim's Upholstery.
              Brilliant video, thanks Philip ..... but I do wish you hadn't posted it when I haven't any box cushions to do, as I'm now itching to try this method and speed up production a bit!! I've always sewn my piping on first, but this makes complete sense now I've seen it. Also like the way the ends of the zipped gusset (gusset, gusset, gusset - love that word!) are finished off.

Comment

Working...
              X