• plaited tie backs

Hi Eveyone

Please could you let me know what you fill your platted tie backs with
    i use the foam tubes but i just cant seam to get any
    can you give me some ideas

regards
    Marela

Re: platted tie backs

Hi Marela, I use strips of interlining about 25cm wide, roll up at one end, stitch a short length of piping to the end of the interlining then tie it to a teaspoon and thread the spoon, bowl first, through your fabric tube. I think it gives a better finish than foam which I find is very stiff.
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Its a while since I made any, Marela, but I would use strips of thin wadding. Cut the main fabric into 6'' strips and roll the wadding inside and stitch, by hand I'm afraid. One width usually comes out at 20'' long, one and a half about 26'' long. Sorry, don't have the measure handy to convert into cms.

Enid

Comment

Thank you so much
        i will give that a try

Marela

Comment

Hi,

I make mine the same as Pen. Don't use a teaspoon though, and this is the bit that takes me the longest - threading the wadding/interlining through the tube. Will give that a go. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best!

Sue.

Comment

Re: plaited tie backs

Be careful if using wadding when pulling through the tube - it can tear in half if you're unlucky! That's why I use interlining. Also, Sue, dont you need something solid, like a spoon, to push through the tube? I find it very quick to do.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Re: plaited tie backs

I know that sewing by hand takes longer,but as the fabric tube is wrapped around the wadding as it is sewn, there is no need to pull anything through.... thats the reason I do it that way. Got into pickles with teaspoons, wooden spoons, knitting needles etc etc.

Enid

Comment

Working...
              X