Cushions..give me strength!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cushions..give me strength!!!

Just finished 6 cushions my god I could have done a pair of interlind curtains the time it took me to get these finished, the only thing that went right was the zip in the bolster, thanks Pen. As for zips in other cushions I could not get them in properly the piping didnt lay right and the circle ends on bolsters was a night mare to put in. The fabric was a faux silk and the piping on the corners didnt want to play good job I dont charge by the hour.
    I have loads of work on so could do without this. Theres something about cushions I can never seem to get them right first time they look so easy. Not for me.... Sorry just had to have a moan!!!!!!!!

Irene

Re: Cushions..give me strength!!!

Awww Irene, you have my sympathies cos I know exactly how you feel !

I cant abide cushions, especially pipped ones,,infact anything with a zip too,,, oh and piped tiebacks, as you say the time it takes, its hardly worth it.

I have a bolster cushion to make thats sitting giving me the evil eye from the corner of the work room Im ignoring it

I'm snowed under with work too so could do without them on my very long list of things to do!

Chin up at least you completed yours

Comment

Hi Irene,

Cushions sound and look so simple but I avoid them like the plague. They take me ages and I lose money on them. I'm never entirely happy with the result - piping, zipping, corners. You have my sympathy. I only ever take them on as part of a larger job, i.e. matching romans or curtains that I've made for the same room.

The gathered end bolsters are a lot easier than the circle ended ones.

Sue.

Comment

HI Tamb and Sue,

We spend so much on curtain courses learning every which way, but like most I thought cushions would be a doddle, do's anyone Know of a good dvd step by step on cushion making because I cant make head nor tails of instructions in my books. Guess what ,went to measure up to day biggish job and she wants 6 cushions, dont know weather to laugh or cry. Think Ill have a vodka and lemonade....or two.

Regards

Irene

Comment

There are various videos and clips about making cushions you can view for free on YouTube - when you search remember that in the US what we would call a cushion is referred to as a pillow so try 2 searches one using each word. Alternatively, there might be a one-day course near you where the tutor could tailor the session to cover the specific areas you want. Try our training section at http://www.my.decozo.com/viewforum.php?f=28.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

To stitch the ends in when making bolsters, mark the quarters of the circle by folding and notching and mark the quarters of the long piece the same. Clip the long piece - if you want, stay stitch it first just inside the seam line so that you know where to cut to. Match and pin the quarter marks, then stitch together with the circle piece on the bottom.

Making cushions is easy when you know the methods!
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I like making cushions.

Comment

I LIKE MAKING CUSHIONS AS WELL! If I have some spare time, I like to be very creative with them, but I find that straightforward cushions are good money makers. Once cut, you can sit at the machine as just sew.

However, I agree, some customers just dont realise how much fabric is needed, especially when pattern matching a set. They think you can just cut them out of the leftovers - I never have leftovers!
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Nic

Thought you'd posted a blank page.. Shame you don't live nearer i'd be throwing them your way!!! I really can't get the hang of them. Your right Pen need to learn how to do them properly, I did make a good job of putting that zip in bolster,if nothing else, sound like a child waiting for a gold star......

Regards

Irene

Comment

Nic I had to really squint to see your post then once read I could not stop laughing. I thought I'd had one to many gins LOL!!!!

well at least I know which direction to sling them in, rather than the alternative which is~ jumping all over them in the garden !!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess you either have it or you dont,,,,I've come to the conclusion,,,, I dont Anyone for a bolster cushion !!!!!!!!!!! Those not interested please duck to avoid impact

Comment

I have just been in to John Lewis. Saw a cushion made up in Sanderson Oriental Poppy. huge pattern repeat Cost £30 no piping. No thought at all to pattern placement and the poppy is massive.

On the front there was a poppy set off to the right and on the other a quarter of a poppy. I would never make up cushions like that as I always try to make the best of the pattern. Thats what makes us professionals and this job interesting. A customer oohed and aahed it too. I would call that really below par work. REAL soft furnishers would never turn out cushions using left overs unless the fabric had a really tiny pattern or was plain.

John Lewis are at the bottom in my estimations I have no idea why folk go there. I would hate to work for them.
                      Karen Rhodes
                      Karen Rhodes Design
                      Pole Design

Comment

Working...
                      X