Problem seat pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem seat pads

OOOOOH customers!! I have a customer who asked for 6 seat pads to be made and covered for her dining chairs. They wanted them piped and zipped, to look similar to the ones they have had/loved/used for 40 years... They was rather picky from the beginning and wanted to go through every detail which was fine.
    Now they have been made and delivered and they are saying the sponge is too thick and not dense enough!! even though they had been given a sample piece of sponge to try on their chairs prior to making up in case this was an issue with them..and they was happy with that type being used but now say they want it thinner. I did say that I could maybe replace the sponge and alter the covers even though this would be a huge headache and have tried to please them every step of the way,, but now they are saying they want a full refund as the sponge is uncomfortable and they do not look like their old seat pads.
    The fabric is completely different from their old ones and they wanted piping instead of fringe that was on the old ones, so they are going to look different I told them.They are now threatening me with all sorts if they do not get refunded in full (small claims court blahblah.)

I am so trying to be nice and helpful but they are elderly and I am at my wits end with them......I am getting to the point when I feel like they are just picking at every little thing and its driving me crazy thus week
    Lainy

Re: Problem seat pads

Dear Lainy,
    I would stand your ground. After 40 years, foam manufacture has changed/moved on, and there is no way that you could reproduce exactly what they had then and it seems that you pointed this out to them. Did you use seating grade foam, by the way?

I would write a letter, saying something like the above, then that thinner foam would not be as comfortable, that they approved the foam, agreed to piping and they chose the fabric, then let them decide what to do. It is a shame, after your hard work and it seems that you been accommodating as possible, that they are taking it this way.

Then take a deep breath and move on!
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I agree with Pen. It is rotten luck when you get this sort of problem and you seem to have given them all information before doing the work. Sometimes older people get rather stuck in their ways and so nothing new is really going to suit them. I don't think you should be intimidated by their threats. Good luck
      Janie

Comment

Lainy from what you say you did everything correct before starting the job, and of course , it's so important to get a deposit or payment beforehand. Do not refund on a job where you are proud of your workmanship. You've offered to re-do the foam, but this really should be chargeable; to be honest I'd not want to re-do a job for customers like this because they seem so difficult to please! Don't get too emotional over this, because you've done your best!

Comment

Thank you for all your comments and advice I do think every now and again we all get a customer like this but its encouraging to hear you all and I will update you on what happens when I stand my ground and hopefully see an end to this.
          Lainy

Comment

Originally posted by lainy View Post
            Thank you for all your comments and advice I do think every now and again we all get a customer like this but its encouraging to hear you all and I will update you on what happens when I stand my ground and hopefully see an end to this.
            Good for you Lainy. There's just no pleasing people like that!
            Kind regards
            Colina

Comment

Lainy

I think I must have had your customers relatives recently. Not seat pads but what started out to be pelmets but by the time they had finished with their exact requirements ended up as a soft valance type pelmet without gathers. They then said that they didn't look like they thought they would but couldn't find anything actually wrong with them, best sewing and all that fortunately. Heaven knows how many trips I made just to talk about different options. They also realise that I have made them to the instructions i was given but have their name onto my call register so I know never to answer the phone for any future orders as they would like some curtains.
              Last edited by Lorraine; 5th October 2013, 11:56. Reason: Spell check!

Comment

New foam is always going to feel different from 40 year old foam

Comment

Thanks for all the advice and thats a great idea Lorraine,,We are not resolved on this issue as yet but just read their five page email and decided that will be a monday job. Not dealing with it now I am hiding.....
                  Lainy

Comment

Working...
                  X