Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silk cushion covers

Hi all,

A recent customer of mine has 'found' some offcuts of silk fabrics left over from bedroom curtains (which I didn't make!), which she would now like me to turn into cushion covers. I'm really after any tips. It's all quite lightweight and flimsy, so I wondered if I should put interlining and lining behind it, otherwise I think the feathers in the pads will show through. Any other ideas??

Thanks,

Kate

Re: Silk cushion covers

I have put domette interlining behind silk in the past when making cushions. I've overlocked it to the silk and then piped and made up as usual. Just take extra care with the zip with the extra thickness. I also used the synthetic piping rather than cotton 'rope' piping as the rope twists shows through the silk while the smooth synthetic piping doesn't make any ridges.
    Charl

The Curtain Tailor

Comment

I usually line the fronts of silk cushions. I just pin a piece of lining on and then pipe the panel. It then gets overlocked with the rest of it. Also after I have put the pad in I put my hand inside and smooth it out so that there are no wrinkles.

Maz

Comment

Also - if you use down cushion pads you won't have a problem with the feathers (although they are rather expensive!). I made some satin cushions recently and these were the only solution - other than using synthetic pads.
        Jacqui
        Quarndon Curtain Design

Comment

Working...
        X