Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making continuous piping

Hi
    Is anyone else familiar with making continuous piping using the cylinder method??

I have mad a batch of piping using the method today in preperation of cushions and tie backs. I have never heard of anyone mentioning it here or elsewhere and I have never read it in any books. It is a method that was taught whilst I was training.

It cuts down the time considerably.If I can I'll post instructions

So, how do you make yours??

Re: Making continuous piping

Heard of it but never tried it............I use my quilters square and long metal ruler to make mine......
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Yes I make my piping that way i.e. the cylinder tube type and it comes out like "fake" bias cut piping - ingenious way of doing piping and saves loads of fabric and time. There is a website somewhere that gives you the instructions on how to do this but I can't find the printed out notes I have - probably in the workshop if I find it I will post the details.
      Yvonne

Comment

To calculate how much binding a square of fabric will produce:

length = area of square divided by width of binding strip

Example:

For a 20" square, area = 20" x 20" = 400" square inches
        binding strip width = 2"
        400" square inches area divided by 2" width = 200" binding

To estimate how large the square must be to produce the binding length you need:

1. Multiply the length of the strip needed by its width to find its area.

2. Determine the square root of the area to estimate the square size needed.

Example:
        Strip needed is 2" wide by 250" long
        2" x 250" = 500" square area
        square root of 500 = 22.36
        Round up and cut a 23" fabric square

The continuous binding method works best with larger pieces of fabric, because using small squares produces binding with many bulky seam allowances along its length.

[attachment=1:idjbf9vw]bias_binding_1.jpg[/attachment:idjbf9vw]
        [attachment=0:idjbf9vw]bias_binding_2.jpg[/attachment:idjbf9vw]
        MyDecozo Admin

Comment

I knew I'd find instructions for this on here!

Quick question- I'm using velvet (AGHHHHH) so want to minimise the seams.
          Is it ok,, instead of cutting a square in half then seaming it, is it ok to just cut out the resultant rhomboid shape? Means the cylinder only has one seam instead of two?
          I know it might be more wastful of fabric, assuming that rest of it is cut in square cushiony shapes

Comment

Working...
          X