Square Cushions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square Cushions.

When I make scatter cushions I always cut them with square corners because I find piping them easier than rounded corners.
    I am interested to know what everybody else does. I recently made some 65cms square cushion covers and the "ears" were much more pronounced than my usual 40cms ones. I really did not like them although the customer was delighted. I do have the M&D template for non square cushions but when I made them up I thought the shape looked odd.
    I have some JL bought 60cms cushions and they have rounded corners they give a much better shape but I find piping round corners takes much longer with all the clipping etc.......
    What do you all prefer to do?
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Re: Square Cushions.

Hi Penny,

I put 3 snips in each corner - 1 right in the corner and 1 snip either side of that, and I also draw a rounded shape ie. 2" diameter kitchen roll tubing, in each corner to follow as a guide to stitch round. That way I find they are still square but it just takes the squarness off, if you know what I mean....

Bev
    Bev

The Window Dresser

Comment

Hi Penny
      I always snip my piping as I approach my corners much like Bev has suggested. I know what you mean by the ears & I think her suggestion of drawing a small corner is a really good idea then they will all be the same! Rounded corners are definately easier to pipe than square ones
      Regards
      Mairi

Comment

I actually prefer square cushions. Stitch the piping on to within a couple of inches of the corner, stop stitching and snip the piping seam allowance at the corner. Stitch to the snip, leave the needle in the fabric, and turn the cushion front. Then pull the piping round, sort of folding it to the left to bend the cord.Then line up the raw edges again and continue stitching. Have you tried this method?
        Pen
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Pen
          This is exactly the method I use and find it so quick and easy, stitch to the corner one snip, swinging the piping round and off you go down the next edge. Sorry Mairi but I find rounded corners too fiddly. I suppose its just what you get used to.
          Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

The 1st and second picture below shows how I do my square corners - The 3rd picture is of a gathered corner which I like very much because it gives a boxed cushion effect. You'll notice I use a wide zipper foot rather than a piping foot.
            [attachment=2:1egsscs4]cush12.jpg[/attachment:1egsscs4]
            [attachment=1:1egsscs4]cush11.jpg[/attachment:1egsscs4]

[attachment=0:1egsscs4]cush13.jpg[/attachment:1egsscs4]
            Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi All,

I'm back now my computer has been cleared of dreaded viruses (PC out of action for at least 2 weeks)!

Philip, I love the 3rd picture - how do you make that corner. I need to make some cushions for the garden, and I am rubbish at proper box cushions. Think these would be perfect, and I get to practice on my own stuff!

Also I'm interested in how wide you cut your piping strips, and therefore what you allow for seam allowance. Looks like you allow more than me. Do you trim and overlock your cushions inside when you are done? How do you avoid really stiff corners with the build up of fabric layers. No-one has ever complained, just feel I can make some improvements.

Thanks,
              Sue.

Comment

Hi Suel

Nice to see you back... The gathered corner is easily done, cut a square cushion as normal, round the corners off with a saucer or other round object, baste gather the corners and pipe. Mark the rounded point and gathered area with either a pen or small notches.

When using a bias cut piping, I use a 5cm width; cut the cover to 1/2 inch bigger than needed and then use the piping as a seam allowance guide as shown in the picture. Finished cover is then 1" small than the pad giving a nice, plump finish. Once you've attached the piping all the way around, snip away the middle piece of fabric off the piping and overlock, don't go co close to the edge of the piping though. Snip across the corners.

Philip
                Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Gosh Pip you are clever, is there anything you dont know or have a brilliant tip on~ fab photos and instruction!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X