Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square cushion with a gusset

Morning everyone
    I have two square cushions to make which have a 5cm gusset.They are both in a silky type fabric.
    My question is do I need to put seams on the corners of the gusset or would it be best just to have one strip of cloth with one join?
    Sorry if this seems a fairly stupid question but I have never made a cushion of this type before.
    Any advise would be really appreciated.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Re: Square cushion with a gusset

When I make box cushions I use 2 strips - one for the zipped section (assuming you want a zip) which goes from about 10cm from one side, across the back of the cushion and about 10cm round the next side. Then when the zip is open you can put the cushion/foam in without straining the zip. The rest of the gusset is all one piece, I prefer not to have seams at each corner. When sewing the gusset to the front/back panels, stitch one in place, then gently fold the gusset at each corner and make a small nick in the gusset section. This makes sure you match the corners correctly when you sew the second side in place.

Have you ever tried a mock box cushion? This is an alternative where you just have 2 panels (no gusset) but make them larger than you need and sew extra seams in the corners to create the box shape. PM me if you would like instructions.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hello Louise
      Thanks for you reply. They are scatter cushions and will be piped top and bottom. I was going to put the zip in across the back but quite low down, and I think I will give it a go with just one strip, making sure I notch the corners so the band doesn't twist.
      I have tried the mock corners before with some garden chair seat covers they look really good when you sew them correctly.
      Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Yes, I think setting the zip on one side would be straightforward. I was thinking more of a bench cushion with a firm foam filler than a scatter cushion. I have also seen it suggested that the zip is set in to one of the seams but that would make it quite bulky if there was piping as well.

I think it looks better with no seams in the gusset, although if sewn accurately, they do help pinpoint the corners.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

just about to attempt the very same !! when u say place the zip 10cm arond the other side do u mean around the corner?

Comment

Yes, if I make a box cushion for a bench or seat of a chair, I make the gusset in 2 pieces, one long enough for about 3/4 of one side, round the front, then 3/4 of the second side, the other for the back and the remaining side lengths (plus seam allowances). I set the zip in the back section, then join it to one end of the other section.

The exact size of the piece that goes around the corner from the back to the side varies depending on the dimensions of the cushion.

Has that helped or just made it worse?
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Louise
              yes a great help thanks so much
              regards
              LSS

Comment

Hi Louise

I have a cushion like this to make for an upholsterer. He has cut the fabric for me, the seat panels have rounded edges, and the welt is in two sections - one to put the zip in, and the other a long strip to go round three sides. It is plain fabric, and he has notched the seat panels, and told me to ensure these notches match up by ensuring that the point on the welt that meets the top seat panel at the notch is at right angles to the point on the welt that meets the bottom seat panel at the notch. I think I understand what he means - if I make a little mark on the welt where it meets the notch in the seat panel, then use a set square to transfer this over to the other side of the welt, and then make sure this point joins the notch on the other seat panel, do you think this will ensure "straightness" of the welt? I have never managed to achieve perfect straightness when I have done these cushions for myself before, but I have never used this notching method before.

My other question is, what is the best order to do things in? I have read in some books to join the zipped panel to the main welt to form a loop of fabric, before attaching to the seat panel, but when I have done this before, I always end up with either too much or not enough fabric in the loop. So I was thinking of attaching the zipped panel to the seat panel first. The zipped panel must begin and end at definite points, which have been notched by the upholsterer. Then attach the main welt to the seat panel, then join the zipped panel to the main welt, when they are both attached to the seat panel, taking care to ensure the seam is a proper right angle, and is at the notches. Then attach the other seat panel, taking care to make sure the notches match up.

Would you say this was the best way to do it? Hope you can understand my jabbering - hard to put some things into words!
                Gail

Comment

I set the zip in the back gusset section first, then join one end of it to the other gusset piece. Next I attach the gusset strip to one side of the cushion, leaving a section free at both ends to create the final join. Then I join the gusset ends (so you know it is the right length) and finish seaming it to the first side, finally notching the corners of the gusset piece to align the second side of the cushion correctly.
                  Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks Louise, cushion turned out fine!
                    Gail

Comment

Working...
                    X