ready made satin piping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ready made satin piping

Hi, I am wondering if to buy in some piping for a few jobs we have underway, and sell the surplus on ebay or somewhere, I have found a supplier whose minimum order is 1000m per colour, would this sort of product be something you would buy for your workrooms and what would you expect to pay for a 100m roll of 5mm cord piped in a cotton or satin, ready for you to sew into cushions, tie backs etc? (or cut lengths for that matter)
    I've never made piping myself and whilst the materials are fairly cheap it looks to take a great deal of time, your opinions would be most welcome
    I am thinking cut lengths would be priced at around £1 per metre and rolls at 60p per metre
    Phil Lewis
    Shades Window Blinds

Re: ready made satin piping

Piping is really easy to cover, I can do enough for a three piece suite in about half an hour. Mind you, I covered my first sofa (for us) nearly 25 years ago, and I've done a lot of piping since.

Unless I was doing covers for a function room or a hotel, I wouldn't consider buying ready made. That sounds really snooty, sorry,("My dear, I never buy readymade, only bespoke!") but I think you might get stuck with it, depending on the colour.

However, if you really need miles, it might be worth it.

Comment

Price & Co sell coloured lip cord in a selection of colours and in much smaller quantities in the Catwalk collection.

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Always made my own too but I also come from a soft furnishings background. I never even considered that you could buy it ready made. Might save the monotony of cutting metres & metres but I don't think it would be cost effective...
        Regards
        Mairi

Comment

Thanks Philip for the Price and Co hint, £3.07 per metre for 25m or £4.10 cut length. I could buy and sell 100m for the same price and still make a very nice profit as thier 25m. But I guess unless i can offload the rest of what i need there isnt much point buying in bulk. I will wait and see how easy it it when the piping foot for my machine arrives.
          Has anyone ever costed how much it actually costs to make say 25m piping, buying the fabric, postage, cord, +overheads and time spent, id be interested for your guesstimates
          Phil Lewis
          Shades Window Blinds

Comment

Um, late evening maths.

2m fabric is heaps for 25m piping, using diagonal strips (140cm fabric gives nearly 2m diagonal, Pythagorus' theorum) so 13 strips needed. Say fabric is £15m, so £30, cord I use is 10ppm, so £2.50. Bought by the cop is post free, from JMM Marketing, cos I add machine needles and stuff to get the order up to the freepost level.

I'm usually cutting piping from the offcuts of cutting loose covers, so post for fabric doesn't apply.

Time, half an hour, tops. How much do you pay yourself?(Rhetorical question, I don't want to know)

£1.30m, then, plus your time and overheads.

How much do you want done? Business a little slack here.

Comment

Working...
            X