Trapezoidal bolster cushion cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trapezoidal bolster cushion cover

Hi, all, thanks for allowing me here. I'm a rank beginner in sewing, so please be gentle
    I've built an Arts and Crafts (Mission) loveseat/settee, and successfully upholstered the seats:

My problem is the backrest/bolster cushion. I special ordered it in fiberfill-covered foam, visible here:

My plan has been to construct the cushion cover as a typical bolster, namely a tube that will wrap around the cushion, with a zip on the bottom side, and two end pieces; I hope you can get that from this illustration:

I've gotten a lot of good from the videos and tips here (especially the videos about sewing on a zipper) and elsewhere, but I'd like to ask your advice about how to sew on the ends. I've never done this before and I don't want to muck it up. I can basically use a machine for straight stiching. My guess is that I should proceed as follows: 1) sew on the zipper to create a tube; 2) turn the tube inside out through the zipper opening and pin on the end pieces with the outsides facing in (face-to-face), then just go around the shape and sew them on. My real concern is about the corners where the trapezoidal shape changes direction 90 degrees (or whatever). Should I clip the corners in some way to ease the bends? Are there any good video tutorials showing in detail how to sew these end pieces on? I've searched and watched lots of videos, but haven't found the one to make me feel I really understand the process.

Thanks for any and all advice. If you respond, please remember I'm a real beginner, so I may not understand specialized terminology or procedures without a lot of detail.

Re: Trapezoidal bolster cushion cover

Hi Norm,

That love seat/bench is a credit to you - a piece of art and the cushions really suit it, well done all round. Unfortunately no help from me about the back rest cushion as I'm a novice but I'm sure someone on here will have all the answers for you over the next few days.

Ursula

Comment

I have a book with a page that might help - I will scan it and email to you.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Ursula and Louise, thanks for the encouragement--and the pdf file of the book page; it was helpful, especially since it gave me the idea of using some kind of form to fill out the shape as I'm fitting the end pieces. At least I'm glad to see I'm basically on the right track.

As with any craft, I admire anyone who can master such things; "schuhby"'s Youtube bideo of placing the zipper in a bolster tube is admirably clear and makes it appear almost too easy. But I've already ripped out about 5 total failures in a practice piece, trying to get it right. It's not nearly so easy as he makes it appear!

Comment

I usually put the zip the whole length of a bolster, much easier, if less professional and more extravagant. The longer zip makes getting the cover on and off easier on such a big cushion, too.

Using a template for the ends is helpful, you can draw round it on the fabric wrong side up, with either a pencil, or one of those vanishing pens, depending on the thickness of the fabric. Lots of pins, and lots of self confidence will then get you there!

I love the settee, wish I had room for one like it. Just think of all the interesting scatter cushions you can make for the sides!

Comment

Hi Nic, you may be new to sewing but my goodness what a craft you have in being able to make such beautiful piece. I especially love the wood inlay section, fabulous !!

Cat
            Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Apologies Norm, Just noticed that I typed in the wrong name ! Sorry.

Cat
              Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Originally posted by nic
                I usually put the zip the whole length of a bolster, much easier, if less professional and more extravagant. The longer zip makes getting the cover on and off easier on such a big cushion, too.
                Thanks for the suggestion, nic. I wonder if you've seen this Youtube video about using a vacuum cleaner to suck the air out of a foam cushion for insertion into a slip cover. It sounds like a marvelously simple and effective method.

[youtube:31tpt1ls]TqmMefGKoY8[/youtube:31tpt1ls]

I love the settee, wish I had room for one like it. Just think of all the interesting scatter cushions you can make for the sides!
                Thanks, nic. I will have a bit of extra fabric left over so I will probably use it to make some throw cushions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat C.
                  Hi Nic, you may be new to sewing but my goodness what a craft you have in being able to make such beautiful piece. I especially love the wood inlay section, fabulous !!
                  Thanks, Cat, and no problem with the name; nic and norm are pretty close

Comment

I've been sewing since I was five! That was before the Beatles were famous!

That vidoe's brill, but I'll just carry on breaking fingernails in the old fashioned way.

Comment

Hi Norm

Just wanted to say what a lovely peice of furniture - Have you made it for yourself or to sell? Would fit lovely in a square bay!! Long way to Japan to collect it though!!

Kathy
                      K W Designs
                      Bournemouth

Comment

Hi, Kathy, and thanks. I built the loveseat for our place, to replace an older worn-out seat that was in the same spot. I'm not to the point of having enough time or dedication to really consider building for sale; I doubt I could price it competitively given the cost of materials here, and you're right, shipping is really too expensive to send it around the world.

Comment

Norm, your love seat is fantastic. Well done you!

Good luck with your cushion, Im sure you will gain alot of help here on the construction. There is a great number of fantastic members here on Decozo always willing to help

Comment

Thank you, Tam. I've posted a question to Philip about one of his videos (all of which are very well done, btw), so I'm hoping you all can help clear up my beginner's confusion.

Comment

Working...
                            X