Cushion covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cushion covers

I will be making removable cushion covers with zips and have been looking at some pictures of cushions on here and on the internet. I notice that a lot of them appear to have round shaped corners rather than totally square and also the sides are shaped in with a slight curve rather than just a straight edge giving them a lovely shape. It might be that this is the way a square cushion looks when photographed If they are shaped could someone please let me know if they are made by rounding off the corners and curving the side seams inwards and if so is there a guide to how much of a curve should be used on the corners and the sides and also what size the cushion cover would be cut at the widest point. The cushion pads measure 20" x 20"

Re: Cushion covers

I think the cushions just look that way because of the domed centre. You can round off the corners on scatter cushions, but I never do. I dont think I would curve the centre part of the straight edges in, although there is no reason why not, you just end up with a non-square cushion. An ordinary feather pad would fit and mould to shape.

Regards
    Pen
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Pen, thanks for taking the time to reply it is appreciated. After having read your comments I will stick with making the usual square cushion I will use feather pads instead of the poly fibre ones which perhaps give more body to the cushion giving the fuller effect.

Comment

Hello Sewingbelle,

If you make sure to cut your cover pieces smaller than the size of the pad, they will look full and then pull the sides in as per the pictures you've seen. If the cover is overlarge it will continue to look like a square without the plumpness.....

I'm sure there is a post with pad size to cushion size suggestions on here somewhere.....

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie
          Hello Sewingbelle,

If you make sure to cut your cover pieces smaller than the size of the pad, they will look full and then pull the sides in as per the pictures you've seen. If the cover is overlarge it will continue to look like a square without the plumpness.....

I'm sure there is a post with pad size to cushion size suggestions on here somewhere.....
          Hi Rosie

Thanks, I tried searching on here for measurements but must have missed them so will have another look.

Is there a rough guide as to how much smaller the covers should be cut?

Comment

I usually cut my covers to the size of the pad, then once you have made the cover, the seam allowances make it slightly smaller so you get a nice plump cushion.
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I make my covers 1" smaller all round than the inserts to get the plump look!

Comment

I also make my cushions 1" smaller than the pad and use feather pads as they look 100% nicer.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies they are very helpful. I will cut the covers smaller and definitely use feather pads

Comment

Perhaps make sure clients don't have feather allergies before ordering in the more expensive feather pads.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie
                      Perhaps make sure clients don't have feather allergies before ordering in the more expensive feather pads.
                      Good point Rosie, it is definitely worth checking as there are many people who are allergic to feathers. I remember coming across a site that sold feather/down pillows and duvets that have been treated in some way not to cause allergies but I have never been able to find it since I wonder if it is possible to buy cushion pads that have had the same treatment?

These cushions are for the friend that I made the eyelet curtains for and I know she uses feather pillows and duvet so she will be fine with feather pads

Comment

I cut my covers to the same size as the pad and by the time it is piped and sewn together it is approx 1" to 1 1/2" smaller.
                        I always provide hallow fibre pads as there are so many customers these days who have allergies.
                        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

I was taught to round off the corners on cushion covers on the NDA course to avoid kinks. I think you can purchase a cushion template to help with the shaping, although its easy to do yourself so long as you make the shaping of each corner an identical curve.

The fabric is cut the same size as the pad, and once an allowance has been taken off for side seams, the finished cushion will be a nice plump shape.

Comment

Working...
                          X