This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instructions for making a piped bolster cushion

I've been making bolster cushions today and thought I'd share how I made them - I've made 46cm x 20cm bolster covers, I have used 5mm piping cord and 5cm strips of bias cut fabric to wrap the piping cord and allowed a 1.5cm seam allowance. A pair of compasses will be necessary to achieve the perfect fit.

Consider the fabric you use before starting - As the bolster is cylindrical, they are better suited to small patterns, stripes and checks.

• Establish the diameter of the end circles: Divide by 2 and add 1.5cm seam allowance, in this case the diameter is 20, divide by 2 = 10 plus 1.5 = 11.5. The pair of compasses should be set to 11.5cm and two circles drawn as shown - These circles will have a diameter of 23cm, this includes a 1.5cm seam allowance
    • Cut 2 strips of piping, bias cut only as it needs to be stretchy - 5cm wide as shown.
    • Using a left side zip foot, attach the piping as shown. No need to mark or pin - line the piping up with the outer circle as shown and this will give the 1.5cm allowance required and bring the end circles back down to 20cm.
    • Complete and close the ends.
    • Establish the circumference of the bolster, add 6cm for the seam and zip folds - the length should be the length of the bolster plus 1.5cm seam allowance each end. This bolster requires a tube 66cm x 49cm long - See video below for help with adding the zip.

• Fold the circles as shown and mark the top and bottom points - this is to help with fitting in to the tube.
    • Establish the top and bottom of the tube, mark as you did with the piped circles. Match the marks up and pin the circles to the tube as shown.
    • Take to the sewing machine and sew around the circles as shown - Repeat on both ends and remember to open the zip before you sew both ends!
    • Turn through and fit.. You're done!
    Last edited by Schuhby; 1st May 2011, 13:21.
    MyDecozo Admin

Re: Instructions for making a piped bolster cushion

You can calculate the circumference of a circle if you know the diameter, use the following formula:-

circumference = 3.14 x diameter
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thank-you Philip, for your very clear insructions.
      Helen

Comment

Pi, very useful for round tablecloths as well. I never thought anything taught by the scary Mrs Anscombe would do me any good, but who knew.
        If you are using continuous zipping, leave the slider towards the beginning of the zip(i.e. don't pull it to far on) then the teeth in front of the slider will open with the use of a thumbnail. and you can sew your cushion with the zip closed. This way, you can make the whole seam the zip, rather than fiddling around with seams and zips in the middle.Very useful for square cushions,too.

Comment

Thanks for this Phillip, i am making a very long bed bolster soon and i was looking for a memory jog on the make.

One question, what are the rules regarding fitting to the bolster pad? Do we treat them as you would a standard cushion and cut to the pad dimensions with the s/a included to ensure a snug fit, or add the s/a on top of the pad dimensions?

Thanks x

Comment

Hello

I made mine to the exact circumference of the bolster and didn't subtract anything - Just added 3cm seam allowance to the length.

Philip
            Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks Philip, appreciate the reply x

Comment

Thanks Philip,
                You make it very clear. I have not used the double sided tape before. I can see it can have numerous uses. can you get it in the high st or is it only trade sources?
                ta steph

Comment

Nice clear instructions. Thanks.

How do you stop the ends of your bolsters bulging outwards?

Thanks,
                  Sue.

Comment

I have read somewhere that you can insert a circle of foam at each end between the inner and the cover to help keep the shape.
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Try ebay for double sided tape Steph.

Comment

Hello I'm new - and I have a question! I'm making piped zipped bolster cushions and find your instructions and videos really helpful. But I'm not sure of the seam allowance when making the 'tube' and inserting the zip - it looks like quite a large one on your video given that you have to make a flap - and are you sewing the two pieces together before using the double sided tape? I'm making a cushion exactly the same dimensions as yours so if you could let me know how big to make that intial seam that would be great.

Comment

2cm is enough, there is no reason for the larger one used on the video.

Good luck!

Philip
                          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks Philip
                            I've just been asked to make my first ever bolster cushion and I was lying awake last night trying to figure how to put the zip in.
                            Logged on this morning and here is the answer...

Off to get some double sided tape now.

Comment

Only just round round to starting these now- delay obtaining fabric.

Thank you so much Philip- it was quite a fiddle getting the zip in, so your video and secret weapon of double sided tape was invaluable. My tape was a bit too wide so I had to lay it projecting over the edge of the zip to get it clear of the teeth, but got there in the end
                              I'm just glad it was plain fabric with a very good thread match as I don't think the sewing is too tidy, but it is pretty invisible.

My bolster was a slightly smaller diameter than yours so it was really tight getting the fabric out of the way, but the end result is worth all the effort.

thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X